Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish

Post subject: Best Ric-O-Smell options
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:25 am 

Hi again,

I've had this problem with my Ric 330 guitar for a couple of years now. I got it from a heavy smoker, so I wanted to get the cigarette odor out. I read about the tendency for Rics to pick up odors. I tried baking soda in the case, and Ozium. I also took a little perfume and put it on a scrap of paper towel left in the case.

All those things were an improvement, and basically got rid of the smoke smell. But now I'm wondering the best way to get it back to "neutral"? It's not overpowering, just kind of perfumey. No biggie, just wondering the best solution.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Best Ric-O-Smell options
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:16 am 

This stuff is made to remove "pet odors" (and it really does work), but it says it works on smoke too. I'm guessing it will do the trick...

http://www.naturemakesitwork.com/catalo ... .php?id=60

Post Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:20 am 

If you can, just lay the open case out in the sunshine for a day. Once the smell is out of the case, it will quickly fade from the guitar. It wouldn't hurt to let the guitar set out in the sun periodically either, just don't over do it.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:49 am 

You might want to try cleaning the underside of the pickguard, under the knobs and pickups, and even in the wiring canyon.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:41 pm 

Quote:
...It wouldn't hurt to let the guitar set out in the sun periodically either, just don't over do it.

I can promise you that it will hurt fast... within surprisingly few minutes the guitar will heat up and a massive loss of humidity from the wood inside the guitar will threaden the life of the guitar very fast.

And - heat is very bad for the yellow carpenters glue used to keep Rics together. Yellow glue - such as TiteBond Trad. will soften fast and soon give out and a few things like the fingerboard may come off as will other glued parts.

When you buy a Rickenbacker - and other guitars - the owners manual recommend never to project the guitar to direct sunlight. It will hurt the wa´rranty as well.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:18 pm 

Relax, wood is a lot more durable than you seem to give it credit for being. That is why it has been used as the prime building material for most of human history. If a guitar was really that delicate of an instrument, it could never survive a shipment from California to Europe, Asia or Australia; and any outdoor gig would be impossible.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:37 am 

oozy glue?

Jeepers!
Sounds like Steve McQueen's movie "The Blob" (circa 1958).

Post Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:08 pm 

Quote:
Relax, wood is a lot more durable than you seem to give it credit for being. That is why it has been used as the prime building material for most of human history. If a guitar was really that delicate of an instrument, it could never survive a shipment from California to Europe, Asia or Australia; and any outdoor gig would be impossible.

A guitar is (not surprising) not a wooden house or a cabin - which almost always appear cracked and split in the wooden sturctures (which does not always influence the strength...)

A guitar is a different thing... and still it's recommended not to project the guitar to sunligt - and if you do it anyway, it influences the warranty. The reason is that wood that gets hot very fast loose its internal humidity.

Rickenbacker recommend their maple guitars to be kept at an humidity content within the wood a app. 6% - lover than that leads to accidents such as dishing bodies and warped necks.

But heat and direct sunlight is even more destroying to the glue than to the wood itself. Glue as used in guitars softens fast when projected to heated and fastly break completely down.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:49 am 

I once had a Ric that was exposed to heat, and the glue in back the neck holding that wooden strip behind the truss rods softened, causing the strip to protrude outward almost the whole length of the neck. It was like two parallel ridges running along the back of the neck. Didn't break through the finish--but it sure was annoying.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:07 pm 

Quote:
I once had a Ric that was exposed to heat, and the glue in back the neck holding that wooden strip behind the truss rods softened, causing the strip to protrude outward almost the whole length of the neck. It was like two parallel ridges running along the back of the neck. Didn't break through the finish--but it sure was annoying.

You may even have been lucky actually that the guitar did not break down completely.

To a certain stage carpenters glue re-hardens after cooling down for a wile. But if there's tension on the glueline - as in a guitar neck - thing may go terrible wrong and the fretboards popping off.

Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish