Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish

Post subject: fuller plast
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:45 am 

I have seen various posts on the rick forum about it being used on ricks in the early 60's. I have found a supplier of it and was wanting to use it to restore my 66 360/12. I am curious if it was used only as a sealer like fender used it,or if it was used for the whole finish process.

Post subject: Re: fuller plast
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:47 am 

If anyone else is interested in where to find Fullerplast go to "www.van-dee.com.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:20 am 

It came from Standard Brands Paint on So. Main Street in Santa Ana not to far from the Electro String Factory. It was a good product made by The Fuller Paint Co. It was used when I worked there thru the mid 70's. Pretty simple as a sealer coat, then toner was mixed with it to acheive the various Factory finishes. After the color coat was applied, 2 clear coats went on, wet sand and buff to a gloss. I don't know the chemical properties, but it was very close to the present day Conversion Varnish except for the VOC regs. that Calif. has impossed over the years.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:15 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's my understanding that since ICI bought Fuller, this product is no longer available. In any case, it hasn't been the same material since approximately 1980 when various new environmental regulations came into effect.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:00 am 

I have heard that it is very nasty to work with.Does it require special spray equipment like C.V.?Was it easy to spray?

Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:49 pm 

I live near Portland Oregon where the local regulations are much different than California's which has it's own special EPA regs. Since there are a Bazillion people that live in a confined area known as the L.A. Basin, an area surrounded by a chain of mountains that traps and holds most everything from dust to auto emissions in the atmosphere for days on end until the oceans winds clean out the air. This caused the Government to pass standards of air quality control to protect peoples health, lead in gasoline was one of the 1st things to go. The VOC's in paint are also regulated closely. As for C.V. it does take special equipment to apply this type of finish. It is a catalyzed/poly finish that can be applied in ways ranging from using cheese clothe, brushes, to spray equipment. You can even dip your product in this stuff. It dries under controlled conditions in 15 to 30 minutes with the ability to be sanded and apply the next coat soon after. In my shop I use the Sherwin Williams brand of C.V., the stuff we get here can not be purchased in California. I use an air compressor and special gravity fed spray guns. I have a spray booth with multi filters to trap the overspray, and I wear a 2 micron facial filter mask that covers the mouth and nose. You don't want to breathe these fumes directly, they can do serious respitory damage. All in all, this type of product is the best for looks and durability. It looks better than lacquer and is 10 times stronger and more flexible, meaning your guitar won't chip or scratch as easily. When it needs to be removed it comes off nicely with a commercial stripping solution, unlike the polyester boat resin gel coat products that are sprayed on import instruments and are next to impossible to remove with anything less than a heat gun.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:27 am 

Isn't Fullerplast the same stuff that Taylor used for the finish for a number of years?
It is also my understanding that fender also used it grain filler and sealer.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:03 am 

Ed I can't answer the Taylor question which is probably true, but Fender did use Fullerplast during thr late 50's/60's. They also used Dupont Lacquers. Fullerplast worked great as a seal coat and top clear coats. These type of conversion varnishes are almost all the same in composition and chemical makeup. Over the years the EPA have set VOC standards that companies adhere to for the publics saftey, this led the way to new finishes such as water based lacquer and lower VOC's in the nitro lacquers.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:28 am 

According to van-dee,they are currently making fuller plast with the same formula as fuller obrien .Fuller Obrien is no longer making it,but Van-Dee is making it with Fuller Obriens' permission.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:58 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

More power to them! However, if it's the original FullerPlast formula, it's illegal to sell in probably all states in the U.S. Surely it is a modern reformulation.

Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish