Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish

Post subject: rickenbacker's "cheap" brand?
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:24 pm 

i thought i read somewhere Rickenbacker used to have a cheaper line of instruments like fender's (sorry i used the F word) squire or gibson's epiphone? just wondering in case i find a neat old guitar so i dont consider it a knockoff and disregard it. thanks! matt

Post subject: Re: rickenbacker's "cheap" brand?
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:27 pm 

The line of "cheap" guitars was way back in the early 60s, late 50s, I believe. You must be thinking of Electro. My dad used to have a single pickup Electro before he upgraded to the 345 in '66.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 7:05 am 

Rickenbacker did not make cheap guitars ever in their history. They were all of the same quality, made in the same Santa Ana Electro String Factory. They did make lesser expensive student models under various brand names, but they were still of the same quality. Electro,Ryder,ACE,Magnatone,and others. You have compared their lower priced instrument to Fenders low quality imports, and by standards there is a vast difference. The student and 3/4 size models still used the same quality parts and wood that were used on all the top of the line guitars.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:08 am 

Dale is correct and don't forget "Symfonia Grand". Its the only brand that I've seen that the body shape is modified and that uses a trapeze tailpiece with a compensated bridge!

Post Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 6:13 am 

I agree with Dale and John...The only differences you may see between Rickenbackers and the other makes would be a set-neck versus neck-thru construction, and this wasn't always the case. Some guitars seem to only differ by the nameplate to define what they were...

Post Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 12:56 pm 

i should have used affordable in place of cheaper. i didnt say thay were of cheap quality, but i only compared them to squire and epiphone in the sense that they were beginer models. i will say i like my squire better than most real fenders ive played, my epiphone sounded a lot like my friends les paul (but build quality was no comparison) and epiphone back in the day was fairly reputable. but unfortunately theyve ended up going downhill qualitywise.
either way rickenbackers are great. i wish i could get my 660/12 a lot sooner! lol thanks

Post Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:36 am 

Ric made the 200 series guitars and the 2000 series basses ... they had a p-bass like body and a bolt on neck ... they cost less but they are not cheap ... you can get one used on ebay for about $500 ... I have 3 of the basses ... they are good gigging basses and they have a snarly tone ...

Post Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:00 am 

Let's not forget the 430s, either, made from '75 to '82. These are similar to the 200 series, having generically-shaped double-cutaway slab mahogany bodies and two high-gain pickups. Bolt-on necks, too. They are good basic rock 'n' roll guitars. I recently found one on the 'Bay for $329.00 in good condition.

Symphonia Grands are so rare and, hence, collectible, that prices would be disproportionately high on one, unless you found a seller who didn't know what he had...

Post Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 9:39 am 

Quote:
Let's not forget the 430s, either, made from '75 to '82. These are similar to the 200 series, having generically-shaped double-cutaway slab mahogany bodies and two high-gain pickups.

Symphonia Grands are so rare and, hence, collectible, that prices would be disproportionately high on one, unless you found a seller who didn't know what he had...

I wonder who designed the body for the 430? I own a nice '75 model. It seems so "Fender-ish" in shape and it has that bolt on neck.

Also: Paul, I own a Symfonia Grand. Its only the second one that I've ever seen. It may have just been a small run of 50 or so back in '62. I had been searching for one and this one almost fell in my lap. However, it does need a full restoration, hint hint. :-)

Post Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:35 pm 

JWilli, I thought Forrest White was behind the 430 shape, at least that's what I'm thinking....

Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish