Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish

Post subject: My binding is chipped
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:54 am 

I have a small chip on the back binding; can this be filled with something?
I was thinking maybe a plastic laminate SeamFil, white with a little tint might work.
SeamFil solvent I believe is an acetone biased product used to remove any left over seamFil material outside of the area to be treated and to smooth the finish, has anybody tried this? Would this melt the Binding?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: My binding is chipped
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:40 pm 

This could cause you some grief. The binding, depending upon how your guitar is, will be either celluloid or ABS plastic. Both dissolve in acetone. This can be either good or bad. A little acetone is nice to glue stuff together. A lot softens and destroys the binding.

If you do try this, note that a perfect color match will be difficult, and too much acetone gooped into the mix will cause the binding to soften, possibly for a long time.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:39 am 

Mr. Raisin. Here is how I repair chips in the binding. You will need some white vinyl/ABS plastic, you can buy regular guitar binding from StewMac.com or go to a Tap Plastics if you have one in your town or a sign shop that will have scrap plastics. Cut a piece in to small bits, place this in a small drinking glass with acetone. The acetone will disolve it into a thick gooey like paste. Clean the chipped area with Naphtha, use a flat tooth pick to apply a small amount of the melted material into the chipped area so that it is larger than the missing piece of binding. This will shrink as it dries. Leave it to dry for 24 hrs. at 70 degrees F. Tape off the area and sand it smooth with 220/320/400/600 grit papers. Use clear hobby shop lacquer to touch up the area. Polish it out and give it a coat of wax and it should look fine.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:52 am 

Paul & Dale
Thanks for the professional tips.

Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish