Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish

Post subject: Where can I get a new 4001 Truss rod assembly?
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:23 am 

Hey all,

I posted something to this effect in the Setup/Finish section, but I think it belongs here. I've got a nice 1980 4001 that needs a new truss rod spacer, and perhaps a whole new assembly. Does anyone know where I can get one?

Thanks!

Maestro

Post subject: Re: Where can I get a new 4001 Truss rod assembly?
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:06 am 

You need to call RIC Customer Service on that one. You can order over the phone.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:26 pm 

Thank you. I've had this thing for a week, but couldn't get a hold of anyone since it was the holidays. If they've got 'em, then this bass will sing in no time.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:30 pm 

They are closed for the holidays now. The spacers are pretty easy to make if they don't have them. As for rods, if you need one of those, I don't think the make the old style ones anymore. They can often be fixed though...

Post Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:31 pm 

Quote:
They are closed for the holidays now. The spacers are pretty easy to make if they don't have them. As for rods, if you need one of those, I don't think the make the old style ones anymore. They can often be fixed though...

They should be open today, no?

In terms of the old truss rods, they're not really totalled. I could probably fix them, with a bit of work. Just some bending here and there. The threads are pretty decent early on, but as you get further down the rod, the threads are affected by the bend in the rod. That said, with a few 3/16 washers, I can get the rods to act well before those points, and just have the nuts working on the first half-centimeter of the rod.

The new spacer is the difficult part. I don't do machining work, nor do I have the tools for it. I could probably fashion one out of a 4003 spacer if it doesn't quite fit as-is, though.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:19 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

We no longer produce rods for the 4001. However, it's pretty easy to cut the rods off by an inch or so, and rethread them with an inexpensive hand die available at any hardware store.

An inch more or less on the rods won't make the slightest difference in their performance.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:10 pm 

Quote:
We no longer produce rods for the 4001. However, it's pretty easy to cut the rods off by an inch or so, and rethread them with an inexpensive hand die available at any hardware store.

An inch more or less on the rods won't make the slightest difference in their performance.

Thanks, John. I think the truss rods will be ok. I bought a metal file today to try and fix the spacer, as that's the biggest concern right now. One of your Customer Service people pointed me in the direction of somewhere I might be able to get a new spacer from, so I'm grateful for that. Thanks!

Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish