Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish

Post subject: 4001 Neck Relief?
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:50 am 

Hi, I'm new to the boards here and i'm hoping to find a solution to my 75' 4001's neck ailments. I purchased it about 2 months ago with the understanding that neck relief can be adjusted on the old style rods by loosening the rod nuts, tuning up, placing the neck where you want it, and tightening the rod nuts. my problem is when i do that im not getting the correct action...its still way too high..so i placed it in a makeshift neck jig for about a month and a half attempting to induce a slight back bow..still no improvement (granted it is winter here in central pennsylvania). i noticed a small circle on the back of the neck joint on the body...almost like the finish has a stress mark or something at that location....not sure what thats all about considering as far as i know these instruments were neck thru...anyways im hoping for some tips or any news on how i can get this baby straight...i'm going to attempt to post some pics of that mysterious circle, the action at the 12th fret when in tune,..also my bridge is completely bottomed out...if you need anymore info from me or further images of the bass please just ask me...thanks in advance

http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa3 ... 152527.jpg

http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa3 ... 152117.jpg

Post subject: Re: 4001 Neck Relief?
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:43 am 

Welcome Ting_Tang!

The action on that 4001 is very high.

Two thoughts here:

1) The truss rods are bent or broken. If bent they can be removed and reshaped. If broken, there are some luthiers out there who can have new rods machined up for you.

2) The "neck joint" area (an odd phrase for a neck-through instrument but I hope you know what I mean) has shifted. The treble pickup rout in 4001s of this period is quite large and this can result in string tension pulling the neck up at this point - the neck can be straight from the 17th fret or so to the peghead (with the truss rods doing their job) but it will appear that the neck is sitting at an angle to the body. This can be remedied by "plugging" the neck pickup rout with a maple block and routing out an area just big enough for the pickup to sit properly.

To check whether the problem is with relief or the "neck joint" - hold down a string at the first and 17th fret and see how much of a gap there is between string and fretboard around the 9th fret. A substantial gap will suggest the the you have a truss-rod issue. A negligible gap points to the "neck joint" problem. Of course, there is a small chance that the bass has both problems...

All the best with the issue.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:26 am 

thanks for the quick response...the truss rods seem to be fine so i'm leaning toward your neck pup cavity suggestion...i'm glad i finally pulled the trigger on joining the boards...i'll post my results as soon as i can...again thank you for your help

Post Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:57 am 

You're welcome - I look forward to hearing how it goes!

Post Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:58 am 

I have to admit I don't understand how the neck joint could lift out of place without ruining the guitar for good. Any pics of this for reference?

Post Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:56 am 

There just has to be a tiny "kink" at the neck joint area to significantly impact action and playability. Plugging the rout appears to be able to reinforce the strength of the neck plank at the vulnerable area and solve the problem. The more "extreme" versions of this problem will have wing separation near the neck joint - I'm sure you've seen pics of that phenomenon!

Post Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:29 pm 

So basically the neck angle moves toward the body, correct? If it moved away I'd think you'd actually hit the strings with the upper register fingerboard. If it moves closer I'd think there'd be a bigger action in the upper register.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:59 am 

@cassius

thats right...the action is way high at the higher octave section of the fret board...thankfully im not seeing any wing separation so i think it is salvageable....im in the middle of moving, having my first child, and trying to hold on to my job..so progress on my end will be slow moving...but i fully intend on getting it up and running and will post pics of the process hopefully

Post Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:14 am 

Ting_Tang...you say the truss rods appear to be ok....does that mean you pulled them and inspected thorougly?

Post Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:19 am 

Antipodean...any idea on how much it would cost to replace a broken 4001 truss rod?

Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish