Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish

Post subject: Re: 4001 Neck Relief?
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:51 am 

I had the whole thing done - both rods and the anchor plate machined plus the associated labour involved in replacing the rods and setting up the bass again - all for around AUD300. If I break it down, the rods would have cost about AUD80 or so a piece. Given the AUD is at parity with the USD right now, the USD equivalent is easy to work out!

The best thing is my 4000 is playing and sounding better than ever.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:50 am 

@ricster

i removed both truss rods and looked them over for any severe bends or thread issues...they were straight except for a slight overall arch which i assumed was normal..the threads looked alright for being over 30 yrs old...it looked like they had suffered the common fate of bending back into the truss rod nut cavity as there was a kink at the threads that i straightend out...i put the bass on my bench last night which is almost dead flat and sadly noticed some tailpiece lift, so i guess i can add that to the list of repairs...the neck itself was dead straight, but like was suggested, there is a kink right at the neck pickup cavity,bowing the neck inward on the body, and when i apply pressure at the end of the body and about the middle of the neck it seems to straighten out...now i just need to set up some sort of clamping system to hold the guitar in that position so i can fit a block of maple into the cavity and reroute the pickup spot leaving more material to hopefully hold that shape...if im missing something please let me know

thanks

Post Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:16 am 

Sounds like you have everything in hand!

Post Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:08 pm 

Quote: "The treble pickup rout in 4001s of this period is quite large and this can result in string tension pulling the neck up at this point."

It's very interesting to read the authoritative information on this thread. Thank you all especially antipodean for the enlightenment.

But can I ask whether any such routing / neck problems are occurring on the 4003 Series of Basses? Which are my primary interest these days.

Once again, Many Thanks. PP

Post Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:14 pm 

Interesting info, antipodean. I had a late 70's 4001 when I was a teen (early 80's.) I brought it home from the shop, strung standard gauge Rotosound Swingbass strings onto it, played awhile, and went to bed. I got home from school the next day, and I was horrified: that same bend up near the joint you speak of was quite prominent. It looked like the neck was straight, but tilted "forward", with the bend near the body end. I paniced, and put some light gauge strings on it, and never played Roto's again. I assumed it was soft wood, but what you describe, with the point of weakness due to routing, makes MUCH sense!

Post Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:13 am 

Quote:
Quote: "The treble pickup rout in 4001s of this period is quite large and this can result in string tension pulling the neck up at this point."

But can I ask whether any such routing / neck problems are occurring on the 4003 Series of Basses? Which are my primary interest these days.

The route for the neck pickup is actually larger on 4003's now, a portion of it extending all the way to the edge of the fretboard. When you combine this with the fact that the upper and lower cutaways are a bit deeper to facilitate access to the upper frets, the potential for the sort of flexing discussed earlier in the thread is greater. The newer two piece necks are stronger and seem like they will minimize some of this effect, but on the 8-string conversions I've done on 4003's I've cut a maple block to fill this area and re-routed it to be only as big as it needs to be.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:17 am 

Quote:
Quote:

The route for the neck pickup is actually larger on 4003's now, a portion of it extending all the way to the edge of the fretboard. When you combine this with the fact that the upper and lower cutaways are a bit deeper to facilitate access to the upper frets, the potential for the sort of flexing discussed earlier in the thread is greater. The newer two piece necks are stronger and seem like they will minimize some of this effect, but on the 8-string conversions I've done on 4003's I've cut a maple block to fill this area and re-routed it to be only as big as it needs to be.

I've noticed the problem in extremis (i.e. leading to partial wing separation)on some 4003S/8 basses - the extra tension being a killer, so the mod for 8-string conversions is very wise! My personal experience with recent 4003s is limited - the lack of a distributor in Oz since the early noughties means that recent Rickenbackers are rare indeed!

Post Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:30 am 

I've been going through this with my '74. The bottom of the E string to the 12th fret was 5/32". I pulled the truss rods and found they were bent in a smile, apex away from the fingerboard. I bent them into a frown, apex toward the fingerboard, reinstalled them. This put the clearance at the 12th fret at 3/32" and I believe setting up with a straight edge I can do better. What a difference it made. :D

Post Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:24 pm 

In view of my experience with PVA/wood glue in a Rickenbacker bass: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14232

What glue would you recommend to stick the maple block in?

I am guessing something solid/brittle like Urea-Formaldehide, or even simply polyester resin (the stuff they make surfboards out of) would be best. These types of glues wouldn't dampen resonance like rubbery PVA.

Greg

Post Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:32 am 

Oz_Greg wrote:
What glue would you recommend to stick the maple block in

There is only one real glue for musical instruments: old-fashioned, dissolve the chunks in hot water double-boiler pot, make sure the old horses are dispatched in a humane manner, hide glue.

Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish