Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish

Post subject: 4001 Restoration
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:05 pm 

I have a 78 4001 Mapleglo. the guy I bought it from did a lot of mods that were not in the best intrests of the guitar. I would like to restore it to original or Rickenbacker parts. I realize the not all 4001 parts are available. Does anyone know if the 4003 model parts can be used as exact fit for pick ups, machine heads, and pickguards.

Post subject: Re: 4001 Restoration
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:54 pm 

Pickups will fit (and are essentially the same), Machine heads have varied over the years, but depending on what you've got, some will fit, Pickguards have also varied somewhat, but Tony at Pickguardian can make just about anything you need:

http://www.pickguardian.com/pickguardian/

Post Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:10 am 

Ebay is a great source for vintage parts - the period correct Kluson tuners will come up every now and then. The current Schallers will fit but the screw-holes aren't and exact match. A big issue is whether the holes in the headstock have been routed out for tuners with larger posts - if so then they've got to be dowelled up and redrilled to take the "correct" tuners or just left as they are....

Post Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:50 am 

If I call the factory would they know?

Post Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:58 am 

Quote:
If I call the factory would they know?

Would they know what?

The current 4003 hardware apart from tuners will all fit without an issue - tailpiece and bridge, pickups, harness, knobs, treble pickup mounting ring, vintage strap buttons, various screws etc. These can all be obtained from the boutique.

The new tuners will fit (unless the bass has been modded for larger posts as per my previous post) but will require a little drilling as the mounting screws don't align perfectly.

Pickguardian can supply a replacement pickguard.

The things that are difficult to get are:

- Truss rod cover - Rickenbacker will sell you one only if you can provide them with the old one, or at least, most of it if it has been broken.... if it's missing you'll have to scour ebay;
- Jack plate - ebay time!
- Truss rods - for a 4001 these will have to be machined, but there a few people around who can do this....

I hope this just about covers it for you....

Post Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:17 pm 

Thanks for the info thew bass was fitted with Grovers probably from a Fender. The only use one or two screws but do not match the others. Does not luke routed.
Treble Pick up is a Jazz bass pick up.
The rythym pick up looks like it was from an SG or gison EBO.
Also also has a black pick guard but white name plate.

I asked if the factory would know if the current tuners would fit my model/year.

Thanks for your advice.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:51 am 

Here is the link to some pictures I took.

http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m63 ... ickups.jpg

http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m63 ... 8-Rick.jpg

I would be interested in your thoughts.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:04 am 

Great pics - and very nice 4001. I always get walnut and autumnglo confused - it's one of the two - and they are very cool colours indeed!

First the bad news - the new tuners have bigger posts than the current stock tuners and the original tuners and the post holes have been enlarged to accommodate them. As a result replacing the tuners with either the new Schallers from the boutique or with old Klusons is going to be problematic - you will either have to dowel up the holes and redrill them or have some special ferules (the metal rings that sit around the post hole on the face of the headstock) made to sit in the widened post holes. If you go with the dowelling, the ferules that come with the Schallers may hide the majoriy of the dowel, but it is likely that some of the work may be exposed. In addition, the ferules used by the current tuners are large and have probably left indentations in the headstock which the Schaller ferules won't cover. To get the bass pristine you would need a refinish, and if there is exposed dowelling you would need the refin to be in an opaque colour. My solution would be to leave the tuners as they are if they work well.

The good news - it is likely that all you need will be the pickguard, pickups, and the treble pickup cover (optional) to get the bass close to original spec (ignoring tuners). The black 'guard and white TRC looks ok, but white/white would also look fine. If you want a black TRC you will either have to scour ebay for a period-correct one or, if you're happy with a little bit of mismatch, you may be able to get one from RIC (the ones currently fitted to 4004 series) which have silver rather than white lettering.

The cool thing about your bass is that given the huge neck pickup, you could probably spec it up to use either the period-correct 1 inch spacing from fretboard to pickup, or the vintage 1/2 inch spacing - Tony at Pickguardian will be able to whip up a new guard to either spec.

Finally, I note that new higain pickups are wound a lot hotter than the pickups that were originally fitted to your 4001, and that the treble pickup would have been run through a cap that filtered out the low frequencies (the cap now used in the "vintage tone circuit"). If you're after that exact vintage sound you could have someone partially unwind the pickups (some of the boutique pickup firms offer this service) and have the vintage tone circuit retrofitted to the bass (I suspect the original cap is long gone).

Post Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:12 pm 

Thanks for the advice. Not sure how to approach the headstock issues now I really do not like the look of the grovers plus they don't look like they fit right. I will check pickguardian as you suggested. I had read about the cap in the treble pickup circuit that cuts out the low end. Does anyone know the value of the capacitor? I don't know if that part of the circuit has been removed or not. I will start with the pick ups and pick guards.Being a big fan of Chris Squire's sound I would like to get the sound back to the period it was built.
BTW I have also noticed that in the bridge there are little pieces of foam? They appear to be dry rotted. What do you recommend?

Thanks again.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:13 am 

You can download a schematic for your bass from this site under "Service", in .pdf form.

The foam mute pads, which harden with time, are available from the RIC boutique, also on this site. Note that there's a minimum purchase requirement, so you should probably get some other parts, strings, or maybe a T-shirt, to fill out your order.

Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish