Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish

Post subject: Grover to Schallers
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:09 am 

I recently bought a 85 Rick 360-12 with black hardware, Im trying to decide if I want to change the original bulky Grover keys out for the flatter mini black Schallers that came on Ricks around the same time. I think they look better. Some of the Grovers are rubbing and not wanting to completely turn, causing it to be a pain to tune.
I know it will mess up the guitars originality but I want to use it, Im trying to weigh options, should I just deal with it? the guitar has some dings and has been used its an 85 not a 60s so I fell like its more of a utiliy instrumment.I will have to buy 2 sets to get the 12, Ive found a few sets on eBay is there any other options on where to buy the black Schallers?
what do you guys think?

Post subject: Re: Grover to Schallers
 Post Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:57 pm 

The first thing to consider is the footprint and screw location. If you've got a spare Schaller of any finish, you can check this. The Grovers (if it's Rotomatics we're discussing!) have a larger footprint than the Schaller minis. Additionally, the screw holes on the back side are in different locations: the Grovers are centered, and the Schallers are off to one side. This means that the mod is not reversible; the extra holes will show up.

IMO this will devalue the guitar substantially, due to the non-reversibility.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:24 pm 

is there a smaller button option that way I wouldnt have to change the keys but the button might not rub, you cant tune the low E, its up against the small E, making it tune either too sharp or out

Post Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:00 am 

I know on Schallers you can order smaller buttons to replace the larger ones. I have a Model 1997 reissue that I was having tuning problems with, and I replaced the Ric Deluxe reproduction tuners with Schallers. Paul (Jingle Jangle) is right about the different "footprint" of the different tuners. I just really wanted my guitar to stay in tune so changing tuners is no big deal for me. I don't plan on selling it, so it's not an issue of the value of the guitar. Earlier I replaced the reissue Ac'cent with a Bigsby B5, which also involves drilling into the guitar. For me I want a guitar that stays in tune onstage. It's not so much of an investment for me.

Here's a link to ebony Schaller buttons:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Tune ... Knobs.html

Notice that these are for the Schaller mini-tuners, not the full-sized ones.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:39 pm 

I doubt the schaller buttons would work on grover keys.

Post Posted: Mon May 23, 2011 8:40 am 

tc2--you could be right. I've never dealt with Grovers on a Rick, only Schaller and Kluson/Ric Deluxe tuners.

Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish