Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish

Post subject: My hardcase is alive!
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:03 am 

I want to start this post by saying that nothing in this post is intended to suggest any issue with RIC or their products. I am sure that the issue noted below is a result of poor choices in relation to storage of the case at some point in its life. Okay, caveat out the way....

I've got a RIC 360 with a standard (black plastic type) RIC hard case, although I always keep the guitar out in the stand.

Anyway, I was travelling with the guitar at the weekend so got the case out for a rare use. It looked fine when I started my journey, but when I got to the other end and opened up the case my lovely jetglo guitar was COVERED in little white specs, no larger than a pinhead each.

My initial thought that this was that this was dust or debris from the blue lining material, or worse some sort of mould. However on closer inspection, to my complete horror, the specs were MOVING! My prized posession was absolutely covered in tiny white bugs!

Argggh!

Now, I removed everything that I could from the surface of the instrument, and you bet that the guitar is going nowhere near the case again, but I'm still really concerned. After all, this is a semi-acoustic guitar, and it would be naive of me to think that there were none of these little beasties still inside the instrument.

Does anyone have any ideas what these things are? Any suggestions on how to safeguard the instrument?

Also, I'm going to need a new case. I've seen the silver ones on eBay (are they worth it? Are they as 'fitted' as the satndard case?) but haven't seen any for sale directly through RIC in the Boutique. The cases are quite expensive vs the cost of the instrument itself so whilst not buying a case is not an option, making sure it's a sensible purchase is important.

Post subject: Re: My hardcase is alive!
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:18 am 

I'm sure there's a way to safely kill all of the bugs in both the case and whatever's in the guitar. I will defer to the experts here, however. I would have suggested an alternate title, such as, "bugs in guitar" or "fumigate case/guitar?"

If you don't get the bugs out of the guitar, they will end up populating the next case you buy, and perhaps wherever else you keep the guitar.

The vintage cases do not have the "form fit" padding around the guitar body.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:44 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

BlueRick wrote:
If you don't get the bugs out of the guitar, they will end up populating the next case you buy, and perhaps wherever else you keep the guitar.

I'm with Paul on this. It would seem like a good idea to put the guitar and case in a big plastic bag and put something in to kill 'em off.

Unfortunately, I don't know what would do the job properly and also be okay for the finish. It seem like something inert like CO2 or nitrogen- something to displace oxygen- would be okay but I don't know where you'd come by those readily, unless you worked at a soda bar or telephone company.

Or hope about a box of Lady Bugs from the garden supply?

Maybe just put 'em in a room with some high powered death metal playing?

Post Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:00 am 

I read your post, Wow I cannot believe I'm saying this but I'm glad you did not leave your guitar in it's case. I understand why you went '' Arggh''

I'm no entomologist (bug expert), I would try to find out the species of bug you have so you know what they have been doing in your case and even perhaps your guitar

If it was not a beautiful guitar,,,,,you could simply isolate the case and guitar and bug bomb them in a small area, or large plastic bag

But as this will perhaps damage the finish, it's too risky, plus your guitar will initially be cover in poisons.

Mr Hall suggestion, is really a good possible solution, yes use something inert if you can

I only have one suggestion,,,,I wonder if gas, as used in gas bottle for BBQ's or gas heating might work,,,,,the only thing I'm concerned about is the temperature drop

The case it will be OK to GAS in a big plastic bag, no concern with temp, open it up
Your going too need a big plastic bag or small enclosed area

Don't gas yourself at this stage!

But the guitar is something you cannot subject to sudden temp drop, the gas comes out fairly cold. If you physically remove the bugs from the guitar... and use air to blow them out. I think it might work! You will be able to use the case again, I don't think you will need a new one.. This way the guitar will not be covered in poisons

You have a very famous entomologist in the USA,,,his name is E.O Wilson,,,I've read some of his literature Very smart man, he is profoundly wise. He is a biologist and a conservationist and I respect him greatly and his ideas. He has a beautiful mind, but those bug just have to have to go!

Hope you get on top of this infestation!

Post Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:18 am 

JohnHall wrote:
...but I don't know where you'd come by those readily, unless you worked at a soda bar or telephone company

Unfortunately I work in finance. I guess I could chuck a couple of spreadsheets in there and hope to bore them to death?

Failing that I might try the canned air you can buy in art shops for airbrushes. I vaguely recall that it uses mostly nitrogen and inert gases. I guess I'll need to do this a couple of times to catch the incubation cycle of the eggs.

The case, however, is a goner. I'd rather pay the cash for a new one and put that BadDog in a skip.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:31 am 

pigfender wrote:
JohnHall wrote:
...but I don't know where you'd come by those readily, unless you worked at a soda bar or telephone company
Unfortunately I work in finance. I guess I could chuck a couple of spreadsheets in there and hope to bore them to death?

LOL.. I feel for you though... also important is to try and identify the source... otherwise you could get 'reinfested' even if you kill them off/bore them to death.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:15 am 

The ladybugs idea is probably a good one. They are harmless to nothing other than tiny bugs, cheap to buy and no chemicals to harm your guitar, the case or yourself!

Taking the case outside and lightly spritzing the inside, using a spray bottle set to a fine mist with some plain soap mixed into water might get rid of the bugs, but it also might ruin the inside of your case if you overdo the spraying. Though it might be worth a try, because of you can't get rid of the bugs, the case will wind up in the trash anyway.
If you did do this and the bugs seem to be gone, be sure the case is completely dry before putting a guitar in it. Keep the case outside and expose the inside of the case to direct sunlight. Many bugs to not like direct sunlight. The ones in your case must love being in the dark.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:50 am 

Many bug species are really clever and will lay their eggs covered in a glycocalyx that makes them about 1,000,000x harder to kill. This is why it can be really hard to get rid of an infestation with purely pesticidal methods. When I had fleas once that wouldn't go away, I isolated them to my basement, shut that part of the house off from the rest and used diatomaceous earth in copious amounts to desiccate the fleas. It wiped them out in under 15 minutes but then I had to vacuum all that crap up. If you're worried about "immortal" eggs being left behind you can force some species to hatch by applying low frequency vibrations. This works for fleas, at least.

Diatomaceous earth (silicon dioxide) would be a fast, non-toxic way to do this if you could get it back out of the case easily enough. Most bugs can't tolerate low humidity as well as vertebrates... plus that stuff makes it very difficult for them to breathe.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:55 am 

cassius987 wrote:
Diatomaceous earth (silicon dioxide) would be a fast, non-toxic way to do this if you could get it back out of the case easily enough. Most bugs can't tolerate low humidity as well as vertebrates... plus that stuff makes it very difficult for them to breathe.

Non toxic as long as you protect your lungs with a dust mask when using it!

Post Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:14 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

pigfender wrote:

Threaten them with an audit then, that ought to send them packing.

Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish