Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish

Post subject: Re: My hardcase is alive!
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:03 am 

cassius987 wrote:
If you're worried about "immortal" eggs being left behind you can force some species to hatch by applying low frequency vibrations. This works for fleas, at least.

I suppose one could achieve this by constantly hammering on the open E string on their bass with the amp turned up to 11. :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:43 am 

JohnHall wrote:
Threaten them with an audit then, that ought to send them packing.

Haha! I'd like to survive the process myself if at all possible!

The old case has gone.

I've removed the strings, bridge etc. from the guitar. External surfaces have been wiped and thoroughly polished several times (it makes me feel better!). I've gone at the inside cavities of the guitar with canned air as well.

No sign of the critters at the moment, but I'm going to blast and polish again every couple of days for a few weeks and hope for the best.

I will report back with any re-emergences, and any ill effects from the treatment on the finish (fingers crossed that none happen)!

Post Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:05 pm 

Great news pigfender, seems like you've had a blast doing it, so have the bugs, and I suppose the rest of us too. I don't know if E O Wilson would have approved ,,,but those bugs sure had to go. :lol:

I had some luck using jinglejangles advice from a old post just today, 10 minutes ago! :)

It relates to this subject

A guitar I have owned for 9 months has always had patches of a very slight white dull area on some parts of the finish, even when I got it, not new from the factory but un- played, I imported it from the USA ( best ever purchase). This white areas looked like built up polish but it was not, it wouldn't go. At a guess I reckon it was the fumigant that was used when the guitar was processed via Australian quarantine. I initially wiped the guitar down as I knew that it had being sprayed with fumigate for BUGS by quarantine. It would go somewhat if I polished it but never completely. I used Windex, glass mirror spray for the first time as JJ suggested ,,,WOW ,,,,,the white residue has now gone completely

I was reluctant to use it prior,,,but it did the trick to perfection,,,,so easy!

It's a MID 381v69/6 it's has a Matte finish that now is crisp and sharp
it's that big on me I feel like a gnome, I need to consult a physiognomist on the face of it

So it's been a goodbye to the Bugs and the Bug spray....funny that old case was the only real casualty. In light of the situation I thought your topic name was spot on :)

It will be now safer to leave that guitar in is new case when not in use!!!!!!

jbud

Post Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:59 am 

Bug watch: still all clear following the gas flushing. Am starting to feel more optimistic.

Thanks for the tips everyone.

My hope is that these are some kind of mold mite or similar - as such there shouldn't be anything on the guitar / finish to interest them (or if there is I have a bigger problem anyway).

Post Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:18 am 

Just to give 'closure' - it's four weeks later and I've had no sign of bug return, and no lasting sign that they were ever there.

Thanks all for the advice. (Is there anything this forum cann't solve?) I'm glad I didn't have to resort to the audit!

P

Post Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:19 pm 

Glad to hear all is well in the entomology department, I still feel sorry for that original case :lol: :lol:

jbudweiser

Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish