Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish

Post subject: parts needed for '78 4001
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:03 pm 

I recently bought a '78 4001, and it's missing the chrome caps for the set screws that adjust the bridge height... I'm new to Rics, and have looked around but haven't been able to find a source for these - a little help would sure be appreciated... Here's a pic from the day I got it - I've since cleaned 'er up a bit:

[img][IMG]http://i567.photobucket.com/albums/ss118/georgestrings/IMAG0209.jpg[/img][/img]

Post subject: Re: parts needed for '78 4001
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:24 am 

If you mean the screws that adjust the mute, you'll need two of these:
BOLT STRAP/4003 DAMPER MUTE CH

Make sure the mute is in there also. That would be this part:
DAMPER BAR BASS MUTE ASSY
Be sure that an insulated wire grounds the tailpiece to the rest of the electronics attaches (soldered) to the bottoms of that mute bar and goes to the back of one of the pots.
You'll have to loosen the strings and remove the tailpiece to put this together.

Was the finish removed on that fingerboard?

Post Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:55 am 

Rickenbrother wrote:
If you mean the screws that adjust the mute, you'll need two of these:
BOLT STRAP/4003 DAMPER MUTE CH

Make sure the mute is in there also. That would be this part:
DAMPER BAR BASS MUTE ASSY
Be sure that an insulated wire grounds the tailpiece to the rest of the electronics attaches (soldered) to the bottoms of that mute bar and goes to the back of one of the pots.
You'll have to loosen the strings and remove the tailpiece to put this together.

Was the finish removed on that fingerboard?

Sorry for not responding sooner - I wanted to get a better pic of my Ric's bridge, and have been pretty busy the last few days... I meant the actual screws that adjust the bridge height - in this pic, you can see a 6/32" set screw on each end of the bridge for height adjustment...

http://i567.photobucket.com/albums/ss118/georgestrings/IMAG0278.jpg

On every other Ric I've seen, there's a chrome-looking knob there instead... I'm really not concerned with the mute assembly, to be honest - I just don't want to cut myself on one of those set screw while playing this, and would like that area to look a little better, also...

Regarding the fretboard finish - it doesn't appear to have any, which was like that when I got it... Anyways, thanks in advance for any help,

- georgestrings

Post Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:46 am 

You can't add just the knobs without adding the entire mute assembly because the knobs are the tops of the bolts that go through a spring to the threaded ends of the mute/damper.

If you know you're never going to use the mute/damper, then don't worry about it. You do have to take the entire bridge off to install the mute and springs from the bottom while threading the bolts through it from the top.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:13 am 

Well, if all you want is the look, you can get a couple of the strap bolt/damper bolts and a couple of 10-24 nuts. If you've got some (large) degree of patience, you can probably get the nuts threaded onto the bolts without taking the entire tailpiece off...

Post Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:25 pm 

The mute assembly can actually be installed without taking the strings off the bass. It requires the use of a pair of tweezers, and it's a little like building a ship in a bottle, but it can be done.

Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish