Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish

Post subject: need help deciding to refin 85 360-12
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:34 pm 

Im trying to decide if I should try to sell my 85 Rick 360-12 red with black hardware or have it refinished in a more trad Rick color, I can live with the black hardware but Im not into the faded RED look plus its has a few nicks and the finish is dull in places from wear, the pickups sound amazing and the guitar has a great neck and the guitar's resonance sounds great, really broken in.
The black hardware era Ricks dont seem to be in demand and viewed as utility instruments so I doubt I could get enough to buy a traditional color and not sure if I can find one that plays and sounds like mine.
ideas?
t

Post subject: Re: need help deciding to refin 85 360-12
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:43 pm 

no advice? hummm

Post Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:29 pm 

Most guitar owners get thru periods in their lifes where they wan't "something else". We all do - and buy and sell tons of guitars - which all share one thing: They are not exactly the one we were looking for :o) Then we change pickups - and that doesn't work either - so the answer to all that is another serious sympton called "refinishing". But unfortunately the ease of pain is short and we regret it and try to sell it... but refinished guitars do not sell that easy... You are "listening" to an experienced man and my advice is... sell it and buy another one. Interesting btw how many guitarist that are more interested in how their guitars look - rather than how they sound - that's a bit strange to me... swapping guitars used to be a matter of sound in the good old days...

Post Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:55 pm 

tc2 wrote:
I can live with the black hardware but Im not into the faded RED look plus its has a few nicks and the finish is dull in places from wear, the pickups sound amazing and the guitar has a great neck and the guitar's resonance sounds great, really broken in.

If your guitar's combination of "looks" and "sound" isn't quite what you want, then you might want to consider getting a Rickenbacker 12-string that has the look, playability, and sound that satisfies you. Although your 12-string might have some "road wear" (it is over 25 years old) it sounds like a player that will serve you or someone else for many years to come. Until you decide what is best for you (new guitar or refinish or faded Red), your '85 Rick will continue to deliver the jangle.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:42 pm 

yeah I like the way it plays and sounds but its pretty 80's metal looking like something Poison would have used lol, I dont think I can find an 80s 360-12 from under $1800, doubt mine would sell for more than $1200

Post Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:11 am 

It would cost more than $600 to make your current 12 look the way you wanted, but if it has the sound you want, you could make it look like your dream guitar if you were willing to spend the $. :D

Post Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:19 pm 

Blue Rick has it right. It comes down to either cold numbers or emotion--whichever is stronger, wins.

You won't get a competent, factory-new refinish on your Rick for the $600.00 difference between your guitar and the one you want. So it's not economically practical to go this route. (and a junky paint job will only devalue your Rick).

However, if you're really attached to your instrument and love everything about it except the color, then you might want to seriously consider a refinish.

It's not unusual (where have I heard that phrase before? Ohhh.....never mind...) for one of us to have more invested in a guitar than its market value.

Post Posted: Sun May 01, 2011 12:17 pm 

Amen. What PW said. I had a stock `91 360 WB in MG that sounded killer (very light and resonant) but was just too plain looking for me. The neck binding had a few cracks at the frets, so I used that as excuse for having it modded and refinished. Now it's my signature "Big Red" 365 WB. :D

Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish