Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish

Post subject: stock M6 mini Schallers won't fit my 360/12
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:15 pm 

Hi all, My first real plea for help here. I have read scads of helpful info from all , having poured through as much of the forum as time would allow. In my short time being a proud owner of a 360 / 12 string from 2003, purchased from ebay in a stripped condition, I have looked forward to playing my first jangly chord....but the cosmos is conspiring against me it would seem. Since the boutique is closed temporarily I ordered two sets of M6 Minis from a luthier supply house only to find that the stock keys have a bushing that is too short for the thicker Rickenbacker headstock. It seems that only 6 such sleeves/bushings are required as the tuners on the edge cannot use them, at least I cannot see how one would install 'em. (Please correct me if I am wrong) My question is : Does Rickenbacker custom make these sleeves in house for their twelve strings or do they order these keys with a longer bushing from Schaller? Also is the six string as thick as the headstock on the twelve string models? finally, how do I get my hands on a set of these longer bushing/sleeves/nuts? ( Sorry, Not sure of the proper terminology)
Mr. Hall, would you please weigh in on this topic?
As a footnote, I now know the agony of waiting for a Rickenbacker to arrive. My pain is a little different though as it is sitting in its case incomplete as I gather parts to make it into a functional mamber of my collection. It just lays there mocking me......but my day will come! I shall hear the jangle!
Thanx for such a great resource in the form of this forum!

Post subject: Re: stock M6 mini Schallers won't fit my 360/12
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:48 pm 

The boutique was redesigned and now reopened with a new look and more features.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:54 pm 

Wow, you guys are fast. First response in just a couple of hours! Thanx for the info on the boutique being re-opened, however they do not have the answer to my question/problem. Since I already received the M6 mini Schaller keys from another source, I really don't want to re-purchase them. Are the M6 minis that are sold in the RIC boutique different than Schaller's regular stock item? IE: loaded with longer sleeve nuts from Schaller on a "made special for Rickenbacker" basis? I WAS able to install them without their trim ring (washer) under the nut. But there was only enough thread holding to just grab. So I obviously cannot string the guitar up this way. There is only, maybe a turn to a turn and a half of thread holding. I still need to find longer ones so I can install the washers, it looks kind of naked without them. But I must say the headstock looks great now that it has its tuners on it!!! Should I be checking another source as yet unknown to me? Parts is Parts, as the old TV commercial says, but it seems I am looking for parts OF parts...and nobody seems to have 'em locally. I don't really want to dig around in the old parts bins of local guitar shops for used bits to complete my shiny new Schallers but, what are my options? Any ideas will be much appreciated.
Thanx

Post Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:21 am 

Well, a little more research on the Schaller website revealed the problem if not the immediate solution. M6 mini tuners ship as stock with a 13mm banjo bolt ( yeah, found out the proper name too). Also available shipped with either 12mm or (wait for it,drum roll please) 16mm. It would appear that I need a set of 16mm banjo bolts for M6 or mini, which so far nobody local seems to have. Again looking for parts of parts is proving harder than looking for parts. Does anybody have a line on individual bits of tuning keys?

Post Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:30 pm 

If anyone can help telemaster with parts, please keep the deal part of any transaction private in PMs or emails. Thanks.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:48 pm 

Problem solved! Local luthier/repair man Ted Vig was kind enough to allow me to scrounge through his spare tuner bin and we were able to come up with six banjo bolts that matched and were long enough and new looking so my tuners are officially installed now, washers and all. Thanx Ted!

Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish