Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish

Post subject: SARTORI'S 4001
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:44 am 

I'm staying very busy, evenings and weekends, with the mission of reducing my backlog of Rickenbacker refinishing and restoration projects.

This one had been hanging around for a long time, due to issues with parts and structural problems.

It was purchased by member Sartori as a bare carcass that somebody had tried to "restore". It had been sanded down to bare maple with a heavy hand, and most surfaces needed correction. The fretboard had begun to separate from the neck, the neck had long, deep cracks in no less than three separate places, and parts had to be acquired from many sources.

When I finally got everything together, rebound and refretted, cracks stabilized, and it was ready for color, I called Sartori and he asked for a blueburst finish, but something a bit different and darker than usual.

This finish begins with a pale blue center, and gradually gets darker toward the edges. It's all see-through--you can see the grain of the maple through the blue tints, right to the edge.

The darkest areas right next to the binding, are oversprayed with a bit of deep red pearl, so in light it color-shifts into a purple pearlescent.

When he came to pick it up, and I opened the case, his first remark was, "THAT'S my bass?". Big smiles all around.

Although it came without a jackplate, we figure it's a '75 or '76.

I'm just finishing another cool Blueburst 4001, but with a completely different look. Pictures soon.

Post subject: Re: SARTORI'S 4001
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:45 pm 

Beautiful work as always, Paul! Very nice colro and shading. Congrats to Sartori!

Paul, when you get your backlog of restoration jobs reduced, I have a 4001S that wants you to refinish it! ;)

Post Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:05 pm 

It seems a common thing to say about Rickenbackers that it's hard to really get the full effect of the finish from photos, even good ones. And it's true in this case. It looks even more amazing in person. I still can't stop just looking at it. In natural light it almost shimmers.

Played it amplified for the first time today, and it sounds great, too. Very 'robust,' I think is the best word. Definitely has that classic Rickenbacker growl that we all know and love, but I was surprised at how much bottom it had, though without any muddiness whatsoever. Interestingly, it's also somewhat loud for a solid body electric bass when played unamplified, as well.

The wait was a long one, but it was so worth it. I still feels very surreal that such a nice bass is actually mine. Thanks again, Paul!

Post Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:28 pm 

Normally I'm indifferent to blue, but that looks spectacular!!

Post Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:10 am 

It looks amazing the best burst bass I've seen.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:00 am 

lucky wrote:
It looks amazing the best burst bass I've seen.

I'd have to agree there! It looks so sleek and classy, JingleJangle always gets his blue shades and burst to look just right. It add a new dimension to '' everyone wants a blue guitar don't they? If it's one of jj's........ well yes indeed!

Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:43 pm 

That is truly an amazing looking bass. Hat's off to Paul on another great looking re-fin, and congrats to Satori on owning a one of a kind masterpiece. Got it up on TalkBass? -R.Boogie

Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:41 pm 

Satori, so you are going to be the lucky recipient of this stunning bass! I'm sure you will often want to grab this one of of the closet to look at and play. Jinglejangles work in blue is the best, he really capture a beautiful shading. The photo's looks good but in reality that guitar would be very shiny and translucent, real eye candy. I suppose JJ would also have it sounding great and set up to perfection!

Post Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:37 am 

I am lucky, indeed. Actually, I don't keep it in the closet, but rather in its case next to my bed. I've been playing it pretty much every day since I got it back. It's very comfortable to play, but of course I expected that, as I've never played a Rickenbacker that didn't seem made for my hands.

At some point I may add strap locks, but I'm in no rush to change anything right now. Otherwise it's pretty much perfect. An interesting note, though, is that it is noticeably heavy. I actually really like this, adds to the feeling of solidity it has.

I need to purchase a stereo to mono Y splitter cable to fully explore the tonal options. Even just playing through the standard jack, it's already got pretty much the most different useful tonal options I've ever encountered on one bass. Most of the time I tend to play bridge pickup solo'd or neck pickup solo'd, though. If I did more slap type stuff, I'd probably use the both pickups on full setting, as it has a very good slap sound with that setting.

It's kinda strange playing a bass that I know abstractly is over a decade older than I am, yet feels brand new. And no, R. Boogie, I don't have any pictures up on talkbass of it, unless of course I at some point posted a before picture. The main reason for that is that I don't have a camera besides my phone, which really wouldn't do it justice at all.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:36 pm 

Sartori, I read you picked the colour for this bass, probably not to sure how it would look until you received it, you must have been wrapped it turned out that well. In a way it is a good thing that you were able to conserve timber, but have a new looking guitar that is a unique masterpiece. Restoration, or rebuilding old instruments is expensive when done to achieve a high quality result, it also needs to be done by a professional. In the end there is some extra satisfaction that you have been able to conserve something!

I keep one or two guitars under the bed, but they are not my Rickenbacker's, or my other exy' ones, I feel the need to lock those up. Even-though I live on a property that is very remote, and it's topography makes it like a fortress/compound, I still have all my good guitars under lock and key. That's just an extra precaution I take as some guitars would be impossible to replace, you could even call that conservation. Many things get locked up to conserve, even the environment that surrounds me is National park. My guitars kept under the bed are Ok, but when I open my vault I can really have a great selection of guitars. Mind you if I owned your bass, I might what to ''sleep'' with it too. :lol: :lol:

Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish