Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish

Post subject: Hello and - Binding ding
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:06 am 

Hello folks,... after many years I managed to get my hands on a lovely 2007 4003 in blueburst. Liked it so much that I couldn't resist a 2004 Jetglo 4003,..oops. No going back now.

Question please regards the blueburst,.. she has a really deep ding which has gone through the binding - must have been a tough gig, throwing axes as well as bottles :) just wondered if anyone has any advice regards filling the binding (acetone/binding putty ??)

appreciate your ideas

Attachments:
ding e.jpg [18.07 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

Post subject: Re: Hello and - Binding ding
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:46 pm 

Hi and Welcome, I noticed from the photo that the ding goes into the binding and also into the finish above, It's doesn't cover a large surface area and is also on the edge of the guitar, a good repair job should make it fairly inconspicuous. In the right hands the binding can be filled that's not an issue, however it's matching that original finish that I see has been scratched, it's obvious in your photo.

A Luthier would be overkill, and guitar tech isn't the right one either, you need a restorer or repairer, often they have in the past been a guitar tech who now specializes in restoration.
If you really want to fix it well then you best get yourself a pro.

If you try to fix it yourself unless you have done such repairs in the past it will be very difficult and an obvious repair, it may even look worse than it is now.

I've seen before after photos of repaired dings much worse than your guitars ding, in the right hands it can be fixed so that it won't be noticed. Still matching the paint colour may be tricky, but a pro will get it close enough.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:55 am 

Thanks, I'll have a look at who is around here (Scotland). I've done a small bit of finishing (rather than repairing) so had thought about filling the binding gash with (??) and then perhaps that I would have to trim it using a small blade rather than sanding - to avoid scratching the surrounding finish. For the finish chip, had been thinking of building that up with tinted lacquer. There are another two small chips on the back side, so would try anything on scrap first, then on the least conspicuous chip. cheers.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:22 pm 

Have you approached a good furniture refinisher? I say this because about 20yrs ago a thief broke into our house and stole our silverware. He threw the silverware and drawers on our dining room table leaving scratches and deep gouges on it. When refinished, my wife and I couldn't tell. The refinisher told us he could see the repairs but if we couldn't he won't tell us. I still can't see them.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:50 am 

It is possible for someone who knows what their doing to fix dings. I had a white 4000 that the drummer knocked off the stand putting a scratch down the back of the neck to the wood. When I had it refretted the luthier said he would take care of some of the dings. When I got it back you couldn't tell it had been scratched. That scratch went through different shades of yellowing down the back of the neck.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:57 am 

Thanks folks, I'll do some looking and talking. It's not a major issue for sure, but I would like to take care of it if possible. There are two well known luthiers in Glasgow and will look online at furniture finishers - probably a good starting point. tvr1979 - named after a car perhaps ? (I have an old Marcos)
all the best.

Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish