Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish

Post subject: Restoring a 1974 4001
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:56 am 

Hello,

New to the forum and I just have a few questions that I haven't been able to answer anywhere else. I'm in the process of restoring my 1974 4001 and I know that before I start the refinish I need to get the oil from my hands off the wood. What is the best/safest product to use for this?

Next question, once the guitar is finished (I am doing mapleglo) I am going to buff it. Is there any kind of buffing compound that I need to use on the wheel, and what type of wheel should I use? I think that's it for now on the questions, so if you're interested, read on and I'll tell you about the guitar itself.

I picked up this bass about 5 years ago from a friend of mine. One of the previous owners had taken it upon themselves to carve an eagle into the the front by the strap peg. They filled it in with cheap wood filler and then smeared a stain over the top. It looks like an oil based grain filler was also used because there's a black tar like substance that I had to sand out of the grain. They then sprayed over the whole thing with a clear coat but I don't think very much sanding was done. There were visible runs on the head stock and the neck and even a fingerprint left on the triangular inlay at the ninth fret. The original pick guard was replaced by a 4-ply that didn't fit right, so 4 of the original screw holes were plugged with new ones drilled next to them.

I knew this guitar needed better. I've got it sanded back down to the wood. I got all of the wood filler sanded out from around the eagle (I figure it's part of the history of the guitar and it wouldn't be a good idea to remove it entirely as it's carved pretty deep into the body). I got in touch with Pickguardian about making a new guard with custom screw holes. So now I'm waiting for the new guard and making sure that it fits correctly before attempting the refinish.

Post subject: Re: Restoring a 1974 4001
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:32 am 

Alright well I might have answered my own question. I forgot to look at the extensive collection of work that Jingle Jangle has been putting on Youtube lately. So thanks for that. Unfortunately the speakers on my computer at work are so bad that I'll have to wait to get home to rewatch the videos to hear anything that he said...oh well maybe I should be working.

In the meantime, I've also notice that the fretboard is starting to come off the neck. It doesn't look very severe, just about half of the first fret. I suppose the same Youtube channel might address this problem but if anyone wants to post some ideas...

Post Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:24 pm 

Looked for Jingle Jangle's videos on Youtube, couldn't find any. Could somebody help with search key words?

Post Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:25 am 

I think the channel is called Rickenbacker Restorations

67 FG 625
74 JG 4000
76 JG 430
77 JG 620
77 JG 320
79 JG 4001
80 FG 620/12
81 BG 480
91 JG 610