Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Reform Nameplate Policy
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:52 pm 

Yes, come on, tell us what happened to it..dying to know..

Post Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:41 am 

Question to Mr. John Hall...
I understand you parts policy and respect it. I commend you for having such a policy...
The question I have concerns the jack plate....
Lets say someone has a really ugly stereo jackplate, with the chrome pitted really bad... From what I understand, you will do an exchange for a new jack plate, but the serial number is XX .... This is what I don't understand.. If I turn in a jackplate with a legitimate serial number, I would expect to get a new one back with the same numbers on it.. I would assume you would destroy the original I sent you... The XX can be a real problem when trying to show or prove the year of the instrument... Is there any solution to this dillema??? The one solution I can think of is to have the jackplate refurbished at a chrome shop...hopefully they won't chrome-over the serial numbers..

Chris

Post Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:59 am 

Quote:
If I turn in a jackplate with a legitimate serial number, I would expect to get a new one back with the same numbers on it..

Chris...If your jackplate sent to RIC can be identified as an original, then you will receive a new jackplate with the proper serial number. This policy is found by going to the Service tab, then FAQ and then Parts. If there has been a recent change in the Jackplate policy, John Hall will let you know.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:05 am 

Quote:
Quote:
If I turn in a jackplate with a legitimate serial number, I would expect to get a new one back with the same numbers on it..

Chris...If your jackplate sent to RIC can be identified as an original, then you will receive a new jackplate with the proper serial number. This policy is found by going to the Service tab, then FAQ and then Parts. If there has been a recent change in the Jackplate policy, John Hall will let you know.

WOW!!!!
If thats the case, then I am very pleased...
But , Correct me if I am wrong, which I hope I am, I read somewhere that the new jack plate will be XX ...

Chris

Post Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:52 am 

"Jack plates, which generally have the guitar serial number stamped on them, are also a controlled item. In order to obtain a new jackplate with proper serial number, the buyer must return the existing plate, otherwise a special sequence serial number, registered to the buyer, will be applied to the new plate."

http://www.rickenbacker.com/faq_item.asp?faq_id=7

Post Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:13 am 

Quote:
"Jack plates, which generally have the guitar serial number stamped on them, are also a controlled item. In order to obtain a new jackplate with proper serial number, the buyer must return the existing plate, otherwise a special sequence serial number, registered to the buyer, will be applied to the new plate."

http://www.rickenbacker.com/faq_item.asp?faq_id=7

Thanks for the info.....
I called Ric service Dept...The service tech was not sure about this and said he also heard conflicting info on this...So, I am not going to mail my jackplate in to the Service Dept, until I have a clear go ahead..since I don't want this original jackplate to vanish in thier "black-hole" and with no idea when I am getting anything back at all...I need some assurances to policy and lead time, whatever it is...
Chris

Post Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:33 am 

For the love of God! Now I want to know how you destroyed your TRC!

Don't keep us waiting.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:18 am 

Like I said before, just make a ton of "authentic ric" trc's. brand'em on the back that they're not the original trc that came with the guitar it was meant for. that way, if anyone buys a "copy ric", they could check under the TRC to be sure that this guitar isn't entirely original.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:58 pm 

for one, i too would like to know how a truss rod cover can become so disfigured it cant be recognized. are you just giving us a sad story hoping to change RIC's policy overnight so you can slap a TRC on a fake?
but still, you should be able to tell a fake ric from a real one no matter what TRC it has. ive only seen 2 decent ric copies and those werent even that great.

secondly, i know it wont be easy, but classic cars are often said to be numbers matching or date coded, meaning everything on it has a number which can be tracked back to a specific date of manufacture, plant, and even a specific model. i know it wouldnt be easy, but what if the body was makred, once under the pick guard, under the TRC and on the TRC with a serial number in addition to the jack plate. it would cost more, but a true numbers matching guitar 15, 20 40 years from now will be worth more than one that has been modified or repaired making it a better investment. i would gladly dish out a bit more for a guitar, wether its brand new or vintage that i can verify it is authentic and its all there.
just a thought

Post Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:13 pm 

In a few hours I may have an interesting story to tell you all. A friend of mine rang me up this morning to tell me he had bought a 'fine' (his word) 4001 copy sporting a number of genuine Rickenbacker parts, including the TRC. I'm very curious to see this bass and to know the story behind it. Right now all I can say for sure is that there seem to be unscrupulous sellers/private parties in my city too. Stay in tune.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish