Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish

Post subject: Binding Question
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:51 pm 

I really fancy adding chequered binding to a 1997 and refinishing it in a custom colour. So, I have a few questions for the experts...

Is it possible to add binding to a Rickenbacker guitar that doesn't currently have binding (e.g. 1997 model)? Would this structurally weaken a semi-solid guitar, especially if CB was used? Where can you get authentic celluloid binding? Where can you get chequered binding?

Anyone fancy taking this job on?

I very much appreciate any help or advice you can give me. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Binding Question
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:16 pm 

Quote:
I really fancy adding chequered binding to a 1997 and refinishing it in a custom colour. So, I have a few questions for the experts...

Is it possible to add binding to a Rickenbacker guitar that doesn't currently have binding (e.g. 1997 model)? Would this structurally weaken a semi-solid guitar, especially if CB was used? Where can you get authentic celluloid binding? Where can you get chequered binding?

Anyone fancy taking this job on?

I very much appreciate any help or advice you can give me. Thanks.

It is possible. See my thread on the bass restoration in the "Restoration" topic area. If you haven't done it before, send it to a pro. It is unlikely that an amateur will get acceptable results. Binding is an art.

Same goes for the finish. Rick finishes are very specialized and most luthiers don't have a clue as to how to begin. The materials are pricey and toxic and the application is very labor-intensive.

Binding is set into a routed ledge in the body's edge. Rick bodies have lots of "meat" in the edge area, so weakening the structure is not a concern.

You can buy binding from Shellex in Germany. As to checkerboard binding, good luck--it's expensive and hard to get. There's a fair amount of junk out there, too.

Of course I can do this for you, as can Dale Fortune. But we're both located on the West Coast of the USA, so there's shipping costs and time to take into account. I know of no one in the UK who specializes in Rick restorations, but perhaps some of our UK brethren can chip in and vouch for someone with whom they've had personal experience of a positive nature.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:36 pm 

Jingle Jangle, thanks for your reply. I had a look at the thread you referred to. Your work is glorious! If you are interested in quoting for the job, send me an e-mail.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:08 am 

Hey Jingle_Jangle, do you have a website? I'm not interested in having any work done on my axes but would like to see more pics of what you do! I've liked what I've seen from you and Dale Fortune on these boards!

Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish