Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish

Post subject: Refinishing a Ric 230 questions?
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:54 am 

Hello. I'm hoping that Dale Bruce Fortune might be able to provide some help to this one?

I have a 1989 RIC 230 that I bought used in 1991. When it left the factory it was red, but someone refinished it with black over the top of the red by the time I bought it. Since they put the finish over the top of the old, the paint is so thick it is cracking. I'm familiar with painting acrylic and nitrocellulose lacquers, but have never worked with conversion varnish before. I was thinking of using a chemical stripper to get the paint off, but others have suggested to scrape it instead. I know that no matter which way I went, I would have a hard time getting the old paint out of the truss rod adjustment cavity and any edges where it could have caked in.

I'd like to refinish this thing in clear conversion varnish or clear nitrocellulose lacquer, but could use some advice on how to proceed. If it would help to see it, I am in the Portland, Oregon area and could easily come by with the guitar to your shop Dale? Anyone else who can offer suggestions is also welcome. The guitar is down right now for a pickup switch replacement, and with the nice weather, now it is a great time to refinish it.

Thank you very much for any help or suggestions offered.

Greg

Post subject: Re: Refinishing a Ric 230 questions?
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:40 am 

come by Saturday. I have a fellow coming down from Seattle with a 4005 that needs major work. Call 1st 503 629-9812
Dale

Post subject: Re: Refinishing a Ric 230 questions?
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:19 am 

Thank you Dale. I'll give you a ring!

Greg

Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish