Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish

Post subject: Adding Decals
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:27 pm 

Anyone know if adding decals/stickers to a Rickenbacker would damage the finish?

Are there any bad glues to avoid?

Could the stickers be sprayed with a sealer prior to application to help reduce them rubbing off?

I'm thinking of giving one of my Rics a pop art makeover.

Post subject: Re: Adding Decals
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:59 pm 

water transfer decals come off easily... the other type of stick on transfer ones may be very hard to remove without taking some of the finish with it. There is a product made for removal of this type of adhesive that these are attached with, or a product called: Goof Off works quite well.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:20 pm 

What about this: I have an '80s Ric that some bozo put stickers all over. The stickers were removed some time ago, and the actual gummy residue is basically gone, but there's still a faint outline where each sticker was (and there was a lot of them). Can these marks be buffed out?

I sure wish the kids would put these things on Rickenbacker COPIES instead of gunking up the real deal...

Post Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:52 pm 

Kenny, I would never entertain the thought of playing a Rickenbacker copy (which I'm sure you're glad to hear)! However, I have no problems personalising a working guitar.

Post Posted: Mon May 01, 2006 1:01 am 

Quote:
Kenny, I would never entertain the thought of playing a Rickenbacker copy (which I'm sure you're glad to hear)! However, I have no problems personalising a working guitar.
My bad - didn't mean to imply that you should!

I was simply grumbling about my situation in a roundabout way. Didn't mean to hijack the thread!

I've personalized my own Rics plenty, but always in a "reversable" way (stickers on the upper pickguard, etc.) in an effort to prevent damage to the finish.

Post Posted: Mon May 01, 2006 7:02 am 

The only instrument I put stickers on is my explorer copy, and that's because it's all beat up (was when I got it) and hideous anyway.

Post Posted: Mon May 01, 2006 10:47 am 

My advice is to keep the stickers on the pickguard, and if you want to to a pop art makeover on one of your Rics do it right and have it painted on. Since your on that side of the Pond, and in the right town, you might be able to hire the chap who painted Weller's. Can't wait to visit your neck of the woods again by the way.

Post Posted: Mon May 01, 2006 10:58 am 

Quote:
What about this: I have an '80s Ric that some bozo put stickers all over. The stickers were removed some time ago, and the actual gummy residue is basically gone, but there's still a faint outline where each sticker was (and there was a lot of them). Can these marks be buffed out?

I sure wish the kids would put these things on Rickenbacker COPIES instead of gunking up the real deal...

Kenny, have you tried Paul's Scratch-X and Zymol treatment? Or is it an issue of the clearcoat yellowing unevenly?

Post Posted: Tue May 02, 2006 11:10 am 

Kenny, here's a test:

Now that the bozo decals are off, wipe the whole guitar with lighter fluid.

Now, light a match, and...

Just kidding. Now, let it evaporate. Where each decal was, try to scratch the conversion varnish with your fingernail. If your nail leaves a serious mark, you're going to have to let the finish oxidize for a few months, performing the fingernail test every couple of months or so.

When you can't scratch the formerly-decalled area with your nail, it's hard enough to allow you to rub the varnish out with either 3M Perfect-It or Zymol and wax with Zymol. This will at least get it all the same color and gloss. Then you can get it back to that working guitar sheen again.

Reason for the nail test: Many plastic stickers (who uses paper ones anymore?) are vinyl. Many others use a vinyl adhesive. All vinyls have a plasticizer which keeps them flexible, by constantly sacrificing itself to its surroundings by migrating and often combining. When the surroundings are the atmosphere, little harm is done (except a certain contribution to greenhouse emissions, I'm sure...), but when it's another substance like paint or another plastic, the result is softening of the coating. After you remove the stickers, the plasticizers must be allowed to return to the atmosphere, a slow process.

Post Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 12:35 am 

Hello all

On the subject of finishes etc, I'd like to know if anybody knows of anyone/business in London that could restore my 4001. Preferably to the extremely high standards that Jingle Jangle has. Its jetglo and i want the glo putting back into it. Money no option I will gladly pay for the best job. Thanks in advance for your help.

Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish