Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish

Post subject: Laramie 12 string!
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:42 pm 

John Hall sent me a Laramie 12 string that was unassembled and needed a fair amount of work (finish fretboard, shim and set neck, replace a couple of frets, install bridge and tuners, touch up finish, etc.)

Here are some shots right after the neck was glued into place, but before any other work was done...

.,..and here it is after completion, last Saturday:

The pickguard is my own design and manufacture, inspired by the NAMM Jumbo Blue Boy which went to Japan and came back into the USA last year:

The guard has my signature laser-engraved into its back side.

I also (with John's permission) made the TRC for this guitar. It, too, is laser-engraved and back-painted acrylic.

This Laramie plays beautifully, with a bright and full sound. I use Elixir Nanowebs in a special set that I made up from individual strings, .010-.053.

Post subject: Re: Laramie 12 string!
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:59 pm 

Beautiful guitar, and great job, as usual! I'd like to give it a try.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:10 am 

Beautiful work and attention to detail. Also, since the Laramie 12 has a Fireglo finish, I notice you have a fire extinguisher ready if needed.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:05 am 

Jingle-Jangle,

Stunning, Simply Stunning!

Frank
"Sky1RN"

Post Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:38 am 

Paul, I absolutely LOVE the TRC you made. It looks great. Wonderful job on the guitar as well.

Just wondering why you decided to put a pickguard on it. My 730-12L I bought this year (also in Fireglo - and I think it's the only one RIC has put out in a number of years) does not have a pickguard. I have grown accustomed to not having the pickguard and I actually prefer it now (although I AM more careful with it as opposed to, for example, the beating I give my Taylor).

Just an interesting side question, did JH give you permission to sell the beauty or is that just for you personally?

Post Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:37 am 

Guys, thanks for the kind remarks.

Fretless, I guess they made 2 then, mine and yours.

I put a guard on it because of the wear issue, and also because although the guitar looks lovely, the area of the top needed some visual interest--"spice" if you will--to balance the guitar.

The headstock has all that gold and the detail of the TRC, but the top looked too plain. I designed four different guards before I settled on the one you see. Of course, I think it's just right in terms of size and shape. To have see the guitar without it, and then with it, I think the difference is day and night, and the guitar's perceived value and "specialness" (if you will) are now obvious even to a casual observer without any guitar knowledge. Now, it simply looks like no other.

This is the same thing that struck me when I saw that Blue Boy Jumbo. So I decided to evoke that impression on my own instrument.

Sell it? Not an option.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:26 am 

You are absolutely right about that Paul. Thank you for sharing.

I think your pickguard as it goes all the way around the sound hole looks very unique as well.

You mentioned finish the fretboard... Does this mean you inserted frets, or actually put finish on the fretboard. My Laramie fretboard is "unfinished" as in there is no clearcoat like you see on the electrics. Also, my bridge wood piece is unfinished as well. It looks like it was just carved and not even finished with sandpaper.

The finish on the body is just absolutely amazing though. People tell me it looks like it's still wet.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:23 am 

No finish on the fretboard? Everytime I think I've discovered a constant in the RIC world, a new variation crops up.

I know mine was supposed to have a finish on the fretboard, because when I got it, the 'board had been already given its coats of sealer (Rick uses conversion varnish, thinned down, as sealer coats, too). So I took it from there. There was one fret missing, which had been taken out to steam the neck joint when the neck was removed. There were a couple of other frets that hadn't been set properly. So I replaced three frets. Then I sanded the board and gave it a double coat of CV, and after a day's cure, sanded again and gave it two more coats. One more sand, one more light coat, three days' cure this time, and I could carefully level the frets. Then it was time to blend the neck joint and attend to the twenty or so other details it needed before I could string it up. The saddle was adapted from a tusq Martin piece, and the nut was scratchbuilt from a RIC blank. When I get my precision neck jig installed, I plan to unstring it and relevel the frets again; like many steel-string 12s it has a slight neck hump when tuned to "E" pitch, which the truss rods do not pull out, as they only extend to the 14th fret.

But what an amazing, near-legendary guitar! I've played lots of acoustics, flat and archtops, classics, sixes and twelves, and all I can say is that Rick acoustice are as unique and undefinable as their electrics.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:20 pm 

Paul, is that your guitar? Its absolutely stunning!

Post Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:30 pm 

Paul, could you talk about the bracing on RIC acoustics? How do they compair to other brands?

Cole

Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish