Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish

Post subject: Small Ding Rick 330
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:03 am 

Hello, I have a small ding on my fireglo 330 about probably about 1/8 of an inch, the wood below the varnish is actually showing. Also there is a line across where it looks like the varnish might have been dulled. My question was, can this be fixed so it will look pretty close to the original? and if so, where (will any guitar store do this kind of repair?), and how much will it cost? Thanks very much. Sorry if this has already been discussed but I typed in ding and scratch and some other words on the search bar and searched through the first 10 and didn't see anything.

Post subject: Re: Small Ding Rick 330
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:15 am 

You'll need more of an expert than me to comment on the ding, but the dulled line should be able to be restored using Scratch-X (a very fine rubbing compound) and waxing with Zymol (cleaner wax) using a soft cloth to apply both ( a cotton diaper is recommended).

Post Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:51 am 

Thanks, I'll try what you said on the scratch today. Does anyone else have an idea about the ding?

Post Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:51 am 

Quote:
Thanks, I'll try what you said on the scratch today. Does anyone else have an idea about the ding?

Yes. I'd say bail. Cut your losses, post the guitar on eBay, and rid yourself of imperfection. Take what you make from the sale towards a brand new Ric, keep the new one in its case, and don't touch it.

Either that or you can pay someone hundreds to muck over a nick that a future buyer will turn his nose up at anyway. Right? You'll never turn back the clock. Accept the fact that when one plays out (if that's what you're doing) nicks, dings, and scratches are a part of the game.

If you want a perfect, museum piece, sell what you have, buy a new one, and don't dance around in your living room dinging up your investment.

Cheers.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:53 am 

Get some clear finger nail polish and fill the ding/scratch.... but McQuaife has given good advise.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:57 am 

Hit it with a hammer. Then you will see how small the 1st ding was. The 1st ding allways hurts the most.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:48 am 

This poses a reasonable question to Dale and/or Paul. Is it possible to spot refinish a guitar with the high RIC standards, or is a total refinish the only real way to go?

If spot refinishes ARE possible, at what point is it economically feasible to do one? I.E. one small ding doesn't seem to warrant a finish if it will cost a couple hundred dollars where a total refinish may not be much more than that.

In your professional opinions, how much damage should be done to the finish to justify a refinish?

Post Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:58 pm 

I have a bunch of minor dings in my Fireglo 330/12. I went to my local auto supply store and bought those little bottles of auto touch-up paint in various shades of red and pink. I match the closest color to the area of the ding and drop-fill it. Then I don't look at it for a month and soon I forget they're there. Hey--it's a working guitar, it's gonna get dings. The only guitar I have that has no dings in it is a Ric 360 that sits in it's case most of the time. It's perfect and I refuse to play it out. I just want to have a perfect Ric. Well, in the long run that's cheaper than therapy. So my suggestion is to buy another Ric that you can set up on an altar and worship, and try to deduct it as a medical expense. The other dings won't be so important anymore.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:59 am 

Quote:
This poses a reasonable question to Dale and/or Paul. Is it possible to spot refinish a guitar with the high RIC standards, or is a total refinish the only real way to go?

If spot refinishes ARE possible, at what point is it economically feasible to do one? I.E. one small ding doesn't seem to warrant a finish if it will cost a couple hundred dollars where a total refinish may not be much more than that.

In your professional opinions, how much damage should be done to the finish to justify a refinish?

Spot refinishing can be done, and it can be done to RIC standards, too, but it is usually not worth the trouble. Depends on the color...MG and JG are of course easiest. Any other solid, opaque color is next easiest. Bursts can be done, but are difficult.

I could think of no better definition of hell than to spot-refinish a FG Rick that has 20 or so small chips in it in different areas of the burst. I could strip it and refinish the whole instrument quicker, cheaper, and we'd both be much happier at the end of the process.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:44 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Absolutely right. This is a case where if it showed up at our factory I'd strip the thing and refinish it.

Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish