Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Chrome Ricky
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:11 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
It would be great if Ric could license a few aluminium body guitars made by an independent company so it wouldn't affect their own production.
YUK- no WAY!

Post Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:25 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
It would be great if Ric could license a few aluminium body guitars made by an independent company so it wouldn't affect their own production.
YUK- no WAY!

You could still make them produce them at the highest standard? ... Am I wasting my time here? lol

Well I still stand by my original thought that a metal body Rickenbacker guitar would look and sound stunning.

Maybe one day Ric will do such a project...

Post Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:52 pm 

It doesn't look that way. You might have to find another guitar manufacturer.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:00 pm 

Heli-Arc and wood/paint shops don't co-exist well, so this idea can die a quiet death, methinks.

I run a shop where the two DO co-exist, and the safety problems are daunting. Not to mention that metal working and joinery create pollutants that wreak havoc on my finishing amd paint shops! (Can you say "fisheye epidemic"?)

I've never been a fan of metal guitars. They're anti-intuitive. Troussart does create some nice garden sculpture, though. Call me a traditionalist in this sense.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:30 pm 

I must say that I agree with jingle jangle a 100%. Guitars should be made out of wood to keep the warmth of it. Metal is for machinery and all! :)

Post Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:04 am 

But what I'm after personally is something that probably hasn't been done before by the sounds of things. If Paul is so against the idea, I wouldn't ask him to make one because of the reasons he gave. But I want to see something modern from Rickenbacker. The last new model I remember from them is the 1996 re-issue and that's nothing modern looking. There's nothing really (in my opinion) that says to me that Ric is up to date in terms of models and sounds. Maybe that's my naivety. They're certainly unique and there's nothing much like them, but to me, Ric haven't moved on.

I might be angering a few people here, but this is my view. I'd just like to see a radical new design or something like that.

Or I'd settle for a limited run of metal guitars. lol

Post Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:47 am 

RIC has a backlog of 9 months to a year. Any significant changes (such as new models, redesign of existing models) would drastically impact their production schedule. This would cause their backlog to vastly increase. It isn't going to happen.

Besides, John Hall put it best in an earlier post in this very thread (and I'm paraphrasing) "YUK- no way!"

Perhaps you should just let this one drop. Why beat a dead horse?

Post Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:43 am 

If you want a metal bodied Rickenbacker,you'll have to settle for an aluminum "Frying Pan" lap steel (about $3000,US),or a model 59,NS,or"Silver Hawaiian"($300-$1000,US) lap steel.I agree that a metal bodied 360,620,or 4001,ala Veleno or Trussart,would be the COOLEST...it just ain't gonna happen!Sorry,mate...

Post Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:22 pm 

Well if an aluminum 650 was ever made i would buy it IMEDIATELY! It would have to have a piezo of course...

Come on John... it's what the public wants!

Post Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:16 pm 

I'm surprised to see this thread is still alive.

Especially after word from John Hall himself that there's no way.

I learned early on in my design education (it was in a marketing class) that you can always sell one of anything. That doesn't mean that that one item has any reason whatsoever to exist, except to satisfy one person's lust.

And, besides, Mr. Squirt, you yourself expressed doubts that you could afford it unless it was cheap.

So stop winding us up, willya?

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish