Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish

Post subject: Chris Squire finish cracking!
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:12 pm 

Hey guy's, this is my fisrt post here and I hope someone can point me in the right direction. I have a Chris Squire 4001cs #781 of 1000 that has developed some cracking in the finish around the barrels that hold the strings at the head. Three of the four keys have been effected and I can provide a photo if needed. My question is should I have this repaired or is the bass more valuable in original "unrestored" condition? The bass appears to be in perfect condition other than the above mentioned problem. I know this is a somewhat rare guitar and don't want to kill it's value by changing the finish. Any help on this matter will be appriciated, Thank you in advance!

Post subject: Re: Chris Squire finish cracking!
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:17 pm 

This is usually the 1st place the finish will crack due to atmospheric pressure(Rockie MTS.)cold weather and humidity. The holes for the tuning machine posts will swell-up and the finish won't causing the checking. It's not a perfect world that we would like it to be. I would leave it as is, since it is an LTD. Edition and highly collectable Bass. Be sure that the peg head has not been subjected to moisture such as: rain, A.C. water dripping from above on the stage, an over damp polishing cloth, etc. Moisture getting down in the holes will cause the wood to swell and posible cracking of the wood grain. If this were the case, a repair such as forcing glue in the peg head holes, then clamping the wings together on the peg head will preserve this and stop any further seperation. Cracks in the wood will run with the grain, while finish checking/cracks will run in all directions.
Also, welcome to the Forum.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:47 pm 

For what it is worth, I have the same cracks on my CS.

It never concerned me….

Post Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:27 am 

Cool, Glad to hear it's not as bad as I thought. The checking does go in all different directions and I can't see and delamination or other problems with the wood, like I said other than a few cracks in the finish it is in VERY good condition. Thanx for the quick answers guys!

Post Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:17 pm 

You should see the blemishes on my CS!
Its #H36407 and I have played it constantly
for fifteen years.
The first marks on the yellow finish were caused by black plastic washers placed at the base of the strap pegs.(Mr Hall reckons they were added in England at their Bury office).I took them off after a few weeks and they had discoloured the finish into a brown hue just around the strap peg hole.
Then after a few years went by a small spot appeared where finish sank into the grain of the wood next to the bridge.Then I noticed that my guitar stand had left blemishes similar to the strap peg ones so dont leave it for long next to black plastic or rubber.
There is a small crack in the paint at the neck/body joint but its a superficial one in the gloss surface.
I wouldnt change any of this stuff as the bass is fantastic and individual to boot.
The only thing I do need is someone reliable enough to do a re-fret as I am getting really deep into them and I wouldnt trust this bass to just anyone.Any suggestions?

Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:14 am 

seyesbass - Paul (jingle_jangle) or Dale (Dale_Fortune) here in the States and on these forums, if you can part with it for a while.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:30 am 

It would be very expensive with International shipping and duties. If it were mine I would talk to other musicians in the London area and seek out a pro repairman or luthier with experience in the Rickenbacker area. Or if you are in no hurry you could send it to one of us and you would be guaranteed of a 1st rate refret and fingerboard refinish.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:44 pm 

Cheers guys!
I have a V63 and my mate Dave Carr has another 5 ricks that I could use in the YES tribute while the old girl is at the menders.
Its a case of logistics really.
Theres Robbie Gladwell who does the Dr Robert column in Guitarist who seems to be a well regarded repairer so I am going to contact him for suggestions too.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:52 pm 

Pete there is a guy in manchester,trying to find his web site.If you get in touch with soundcontrol they will give you his number.Let me know when yourat moses gate.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:08 pm 

Thanks Lucky,
We had to cancel the Moses gate on August Bank Holiday as we have a new singer to break in so the next gig is in Wales in Sept.
If you find that guys website or number just email it to the SEYES website.
I promise to get you a pint in return!

Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish