Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish

Post subject: Re: binding replacement?
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:07 am 

On a similar evin, I have a 2004 midnight blue 4003 bass where the blue colour is seeping thru into the white binding just where sweaty flesh has come into contact most ie above frets 2,3,4 and 5 and on the body directly above the string dampers. Any ideas as to how best to get this repaired / removed and if so costs involved. The bass is absolutely mint cond with less than 20 hours playing on it so am pretty gutted. If I can get it sorted it will be traded for a 2006 4003FG wit the vintage tone switch asap!
And before anyone asks, I purchased it as a private sale and as such acknowledge that there is no RIC warranty. Im on the south coast of England if anyone knows someone capable of doing the work . All answers appreciated.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:02 pm 

Quote:
I appologise if I came off sounding snippy or rude, but why waste time asking questions here if you have a qualified Luthier in your area that you know and trust?

Caifo, next year(2007) in the early summer I plan to take a 2 week vacation down your way to the main land of Mexcio. Any help you could send my way for hotels and such would be greatly appreciated since the farthest I've been in Mexcio is Baja. Muchas Gracias mi amigo...

Are you going to Mexico City, Dale? I'm in Guadalajara, a bit far from there but I'd be glad to help you.

Bienvenido amigo! :D

Post Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:54 pm 

I would think that a good way to KEEP dark colors from seeping onto the white binding (due to moisture) would be to wax the guitar on a regular basis. The wax would act as a barrier to keep the moisture from getting through the finish, besides making your guitar look great!

Jingle_jangle on this forum recommends Zymol, and I have to agree with him. Easy to use, great shine, and it's available at any auto parts store.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:40 am 

Unfortunately, wax (even Zymol!!!) won't keep the bleeding from happening. Someone--I believe it was Dale--had a method for getting rid of that Mid Blue bleed. I hope he'll read this and jump in.

Too bad about the warranty...

Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish