Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish

Post subject: 1967 345 Repair
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:37 am 

Greetings,

I have a 1967 Rick 345 that I bought cheap back in the '80s. It had been in an apartment fire and has some damage - no burns, though. The body is split down the middle from under the vibrato to about the middle pickup. Also, there is a 3" crack at one end of the sound hole that extends towards the neck. There are chips, dents, etc. The color is Azureglo though it seems darker than the pics I have seen of Ricks in that color from that time period.
It actually plays quite well, neck is perfect with little fret wear but some of the hardware is a bit rusty. I'm thinking of having it repaired or restored but may want to go with a different finish.
Does anyone know of anyone that comes highly recommended in the US for this kind of thing? I want to know that they have worked on other Ricks and can give a knowledgable estimate on what needs to be done.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: 1967 345 Repair
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:22 am 

Quote:
Does anyone know of anyone that comes highly recommended in the US for this kind of thing? I want to know that they have worked on other Ricks and can give a knowledgable estimate on what needs to be done.

You've come to the right place and the right Forum on your first post. Paul W. (jingle_jangle) and Dale Fortune contribute often on this RIC Restoration Forum and they can provide you the information you need. They check in on this website often and you can see some of their restoration work by looking through some other threads.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:52 am 

Welcome to the forum! RICandVOX is right. Paul W. (Jingle_jangle) and Dale Fortune are the two you'd like to have restore your guitar. Plus, they'll put an outstanding refinish on it in any color you'd like.

Be prepared to spend money, though - Proper restoration doesn't come cheap. But a mid-sixties 345 that plays nice is worth it, in my opinion. You'll get back a guitar that looks brand new.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:00 am 

EgeBamyasi-Before you change the color,check out the Azureglo 365 that Jingle_Jangle (Paul W.)just restored.It's BEAUTIFUL!You might just want to clean up/re-plate the hardware...but you have indeed come to the right place.I've never met more like-minded,helpful folks on the net.Let us know what you decide!

Post Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:38 pm 

Wow! Thank you all for such quick and informative replies! Very much appreciated! I did see pics of Jingle_Jangle's restoration projects and they were indeed beautiful and impressive! I was under the impression that he is somewhere in the UK though. Is this correct? I'm in the US in Wisconsin and a bit aprehensive about shipping it overseas. Don't know anything about Dale Fortune yet but haven't been searching the forums long enough yet.

Actually joined the forum quite a while ago but forgot my user name. DOH! Call it living life, I guess!

FYI: As far as other Ricks, I also have a 'custom' 1986 Mapleglo 360WB with factory fitted gold pickguard and truss cover and the TV style knobs. I asked them to put binding on the sound hole which they did as it was not normaly done on these but I have seen an occasional 360WB pop up from the 80s that did have it. Can anyone confirm?
And my pride and joy, I have one of the 1993 re-issues purchased from Sam Ash in the 80s. You can see some pics of it on Bjorn Eriksson's website.
And damn, I HAD a 1963 Vox AC30 that I sold a few years back 'cause needed the money at the time. I can still feel the pain of a foot kicking me in the butt! At least I kept the Ricks.

Again, thanks all for the super fast replies. Definatley a great group of folks!

Post Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:59 pm 

Quote:
I was under the impression that he is somewhere in the UK though. Is this correct?

Paul W. (Jingle_jangle) is in the San Francisco area, and Dale is located in Oregon. Bot will be at the RIC 75th Anniversary celebration this weekend, so you probably wouldn't hear from them until next week at least.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:45 am 

EgeBamyasi-I have a 1986 Mapleglo 360 six string,with black binding front & back,bound soundhole,black P.G. & T.R.C.,all black hardware,and BLACK T.V. knobs,with brushed chrome diamond inserts.I added the knobs,but the rest is dead-stock.I like to think that if Lennon had seen this one before his 325,it would be the most popular guitar in the world.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:42 pm 

Check out the 1957 Rick Combo thread in this forum. Dale completly restored my 57. It came out fantastic. He not only does great work , he is also fair and honest. It did take a leap of faith to ship my guitar 3500 miles to someone I met on the internet, but I couldn't be happier. I have also seen Pauls' work and from what I hear, also is great to work with. You came to the right place.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:01 pm 

Well, I'm back...

And not in the UK, although I do maintain a UK e-mail address. (Long story on that one!)

I am located in SF, California. (Ironically, I brought back from RIC75, some restoration projects from the UK, because my customer doesn't want to use local talent in the UK to restore his two F-bodies.)

I redid a Rick 335 a year and a half or so ago, that had similar damage to the type you describe.

Here's my take on it.

Keep it Azureglo! It's a gorgeous and rare color, totally period and very nice if kept up. Sounds like yours needs refreshing. The cracks and flaws in your guitar will hide better with an opaque finish like AZ.

Short of replacing the top with a whole new wood piece (possible), making the cracks 100% invisible won't happen. Wood is organic, with a definite grain structure that is constantly expanding and contracting. Materials used to fix cracks (like wood splices) must be glued into place, and glue lines and added materials expand and contract at different rates than the original wood body.

But you can get 95% invisibility or better with a competent patch or glue job.

Feel free to contact myself or Dale offlist for more info on this type of repaint/ refinish task. Our e-mails are in our profiles.

Re: Your WB, these were deluxe models, and AFAIK commonly had bound sound holes. My Ruby '81 does.

Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish