Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish

Post subject: Stripping Conversion Varnish
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:22 am 

I'm a full-time luthier/guitar tech,with years of experience using nitrocellulose laquer,but NONE with conversion varnish.A customer just brought me a Jetglo 4003 bass,with the finish on the back of the neck badly damaged.I talked him out of re-finishing the whole thing (whew!),but he wants the back of the neck stripped to bare wood.I suggested sealing it with a satin finish nitrocellulose laquer,to keep out the grime/sweat/oil/etc...,and he is cool with that.I've touched up minor dings on my Jetglo 325 with black N.C.laquer,& was happy with the results.My question is:what stripper will work best with C.V.? I've been using 3M Safest Stripper on N.C.laquer,and it works great.It's non-toxic,doesn't smell bad,gentle & slow.It WILL,however,melt ABS & Celluloid binding,so I'll have to double mask it with heavy brown Kraft tape.Will it work on C.V.,or should I use BIX,Zip Strip,or something stronger?If Jingle Jangle or Dale Fortune could help me with this one,I'd certainly appreciate their input.Anyone out there with a clue?

Post subject: Re: Stripping Conversion Varnish
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:27 am 

Jasco Premium. very strong!

Post Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:34 am 

Thanks,kenswear...I'll look for some tomorrow.Anyone else have a favorite that they'd recomend?

Post Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:37 am 

I'd recommend that you go with what you thought originally, and that's to talk with Dale F. and /or Paul W. They're the ones who know conversion varnish.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:09 am 

Beatlefreak,I think that you hit the nail squarely on the head...I'll email Dale & Paul tomorrow.Paul's recent 360 restoration/re-fin to Azureglo was STUNNING,& would match my Azureglo '82 4003 perfectly...thanks for your prompt input...

Post Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:28 am 

I'd avoid nitro as a sealer. So many luthiers know nothing but nitro, I think they have stock in nitro companies. I have had problems using nitro under CV--checking and long-lasting softening of the nitro under the cured CV topcoat; sensitivity to heat causing softening of the nitro undercoats.

RIC uses reduced CV as a sealer, as it is 100% compatible with the CV finish coats. Use it. It'll give you experience in the chacteristics and application of this material, which is not for the faint-hearted at first.

ANY stripper that I'm aware of will dissolve the binding material. I use good quality 3M tape and renew it with each application of stripper. Tape 1/4" minimum inside the binding, and use two or three layers. Then, after the stripper has been scraped and steel-wooled off and the bass has dried overnight, take off the tape and sand away the remaining CV and paint.

Ken is right. I also prefer Jasco Premium (gold can). Hot stuff.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:35 am 

Paul,around where I live Jasco premium is imposible to find,I had a hell of a time.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:50 pm 

Thanks for the advise.I'll do just that.This forum ROCKS!!!

Post Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:01 am 

Just for fun...I tried the 3M Safest Stripper first...HAH! Like water off of a duck's back!That CV is some tough stuff!Looks like a trip to Lowes tomorrow for some Jasco Premium (in the gold can)...listen to Jingle_Jangle,folks...it sure is nice of him to share his knowledge with the rest of us!

Post Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:31 am 

Paul was right!That Jasco Premium is HOT STUFF!One coat removed Jetglo CV in less than five minutes.My customer will be VERY pleased!Thanks,Jingle_Jangle!

Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish