Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish

Post subject: Baritone Conversion?
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:23 pm 

Anyone ever convert a Rickenbacker to Baritone (28") scale?
What would this involve?

Post subject: Re: Baritone Conversion?
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:37 pm 

I'm sure there was a topic on this on the rickresource site. A quick scan of the boards and I haven't found anything though.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:09 am 

I remember that thread, which concluded with my arranging with the interested party, to build him a baritone sometime next year. I'll post photos and descriptions when it happens.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:34 am 

Could you convert a Rickenbacker to 28" scale, by changing the fret positions (the whole fretboard) and change the position of the bridge?

Post Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:28 am 

Quote:
Could you convert a Rickenbacker to 28" scale, by changing the fret positions (the whole fretboard) and change the position of the bridge?
I would think that you could, kind of like the old Danelectros which were the same size as the regular guitars, with with the bridge at the tail end of the body.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:25 am 

I would think that careful planning of a project like this would be needed to keep it from looking ungainly.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:04 am 

Ah, yes...ungainly. Dale and I had a discussion on this in the Rick Resource Forum. Dale mentioned that there is a way to do this conversion by replacing the fretboard and moving the bridge down toward the base of the guitar.

(I believe that's an accurate condensation of his words; correct me if I'm wrong, Dale!)

I thought that this way, although certainly functional and relatively simple to accomplish, would leave us with a Frankenstein of a guitar, and suggested instead a new neck set in a different position in the body. This is mostly an aesthetic issue, but I believe that ultimately there would be a different sonic signature, too.

So this is the approach that I'll be taking when I construct this instrument.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:05 pm 

It also must depend on the model you're modding. If it's on a model with an 'R' tailpiece, that surely must be modded with a different approach to one with an accent vibrato or a trapeze. Also, moving the bridge would leave some ugly hole marks once they're filled, so a fireglo and mapleglo finish would be out of the question if you care about the beauty of your guitar. I personally don't think changing things about on the body of a guitar would make the guitar look ungainly as long as everything is kept centred

Post Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:15 am 

I would love to see what you come up with JJ!

Post Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:34 am 

By using a heavier guage of strings on any guitar, you can get a Baritone effect. .65 or.66 for the low B .56 for the E .46 for the A .36 for the D .26 for the G and a plain .16 for the high B....
tune the guitar B to B instead of E to E . This is the simplest and least expensive way to get a Baritone sound from a standard scale guitar. Also Flat Wounds work best. You can get a set of Flat wounds and and a .65(small bass string) leaving out the high E. This is what alot of players use in the studio because the transition is the same for the scale.

Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish