Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish

Post subject: Small paint touch-ups.
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:04 am 

Just wondering...

Are there any tricks that mere mortals (i.e., not Paul or Dale!) can try to touch up small dings? My 4001 FG has the usual down-to-the-wood small dings here and there on the headstock and elsewhere.

I wasn't going to do anything to the paint because it's beyond my capability to do so, but maybe there's some way to, oh, I don't know... drag some surrounding paint over the ding to cover it up?

Thanks for any advice.

Post subject: Re: Small paint touch-ups.
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:50 pm 

FG huh?? I've used a black Sharpie to cover up a few dings on my JG. Works like a charm! I dunno if there is a Magic Marker that matches FG or not.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:28 am 

Fireglo would be very hard to touch up, as it's not a uniform color. Good luck.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:06 pm 

You could tint some nitrocellulose laquer to match the finish,and drop-fill it.This is not a repair technique for the faint of heart,or beginners.I've used a black Sharpie on my Jetglo 325,and a red one on the darker areas of my 620/12 & 4001...but on the lighter areas,a nitrocellulose laquer touch-up pen,in vintage amber works well.I've also used nail polish,which is itself a form of nitrocellulose laquer.Good luck,& be careful...I'd practice on a beater before I tried it on a RIC!

Post Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:35 am 

I've had satisfactory results using auto paint touch-up pens. For my FG guitar I just bought up every shade of red and matched each ding as close as I could. I also found online (on another forum I believe) a procedure for adding 9 or 10 layers of laquer over the ding (over the course of several days) and then wet-sanding it down with 2000 grit sandpaper and windex. I tried that on my MID guitar that just had a chip in the conversion varnish. Again not perfect, but close enough.

Good luck.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:21 am 

That wetsanding technique with 2000 and Windex was suggested by me on the "other Forum"...A sharpie is OK for touching up JG, but remember that it has a purplish sheen, so big areas will look funny.

Got any Goth friends? They use black nail polish...good for JG.

FG requires some feel for colors. You can find nail polish in a color close to the FG, and buy it and a bottle of clear to cut it a bit for the lighter areas. BUT--make certain that the polish you buy is a solid (non-pearlescent) color.

This will work...once you get the color right, then just keep layering the clear over it until it's overfilled and HARDENED. That's when you do the 2000 grit/Windex stunt and finish it off with some polishing compound.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:23 pm 

The Windex/2000 grit technique came in very handy. It was interesting how long it actually took to build up the layers of lacquer--they seem to shrink pretty good as they harden.

Coincidently I got this 'chipped finish" repair newsletter from Stew-Mac in my email today. It may be of interest to Ric-aholics for Rics or other guitars. Of course its intent is to sell supplies, so I'll understand if the Webmaster decides to remove the link.

http://www.stewmac.com/tradesecrets/ene ... &clk=48418

Post Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:26 am 

Jingle Jangle--you know your way around a professional finish upkeep. I never would have thought of it. Brilliant.

Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish