Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish

Post subject: Hey Eric B.!! (4001 refin)
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:46 am 

Well, after almost 30 years, I finally decided to give my old warhorse a facelift. My June of '77 4001 JGBT finally is getting the treatment. This bass travelled thousands of miles and got me through over a thousand gigs. It got 2 fret jobs from the punishment of several hundred sets of Rotosound strings and I NEVER had ANY neck problems of ANY kind. In fact, I only remember doing TWO very minor neck adjustments. The poor thing was really battle-scarred with chips, dings, dents, forearm wear, and several holes from 3 different sets of tuning machines over the years. I stripped it down to bare wood, sanded out and/or filled all the deep scars, sealed the wood with 5 coats of nitro sanding sealer, applied 3 coats of sandable wood primer, laid 9 coats of white color, and 12 coats of clear. I changed the color from Jetglo to Arctic white, and If I told you what I used for the color and clear, you probably wouldn't believe me, but it always gives excellent results. And no, smarty pantses, It's not a brush or a roller. Enjoy the pix!!!

Post subject: Re: Hey Eric B.!! (4001 refin)
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:47 am 

Here ya go.

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m83/ ... P37925.jpg

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m83/ ... P37924.jpg

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m83/ ... P37923.jpg

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m83/ ... P37922.jpg

Post Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:57 am 

One thing I could never understand about the JGBT option is why the body binding was simpy painted over with black. Binding is very expensive and time consuming to do, so why bother if it's simply going to get covered up? For years, I didn't even know the body had binding until the finish started wearing off around it on the top of the body. Oh well, I wanted an all white refin, so I simply sanded it down smooth and sprayed over it. The bass will get all new chrome, a chrome Dipshot bridge, new Schaller M4's in Chrome and a new toaster neck pickup and a new hi-gain bridge pickup as soon as they become available. I also painted the TRC in white and filled in the raised letters in silver. It's gonna look sweet!!!

Post Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:27 am 

Post Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:33 am 

Post Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:57 am 

Fine job, really.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:00 am 

P.S. Wanna give one of my treble high-gain pickups a try?

Post Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:37 am 

Looks really nice. I have a 4001S that I sometimes consider refinishing.

Take crazyrick up on his pickup offer, you will not be disappointed. My 4001S has a neck pickup that crazyrick recently rewound for me. Thanks to him that bass now rocks!

Post Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:23 am 

You can get to this stage with less than $50 of materials. All the prep work and sanding was done by hand. I stripped the body down to bare wood on a Friday evening, did all the prep work the next evening and sprayed the first of the color coats on Sunday. The next 2 weeks were spent allowing the color coats to dry, sanding in between them, and then repeating the process on the color coats. I'm now letting the lacquer cure and harden with a little electric space heater keeping the temperature on the guitar between 75-80 degrees. (I use a laser-type digital thermometer to take temp. readings) The bass will now hang in my garage to dry for a minimum of 60 days. Once the lacquer is cured, I'll wet sand with grits up to 4000 (Yep, 4000!) and then buff with a high speed pneumatic buffing wheel with Maguires swirl remover on a foam pad and then reassemble. My old friend should be back in action in a few months. I probably won't be gigging with it much, except for special occasions, as white is the most difficult color to deal with, you can't go off half-cocked when refinishing in white, I don't ever want to have to re-do it because of an accident on stage.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:03 am 

BTW, the color and clear are NOT nitro. Only the sanding sealer I used is a nitrocellulose product. No CV either. If I was going to use a catalyzed clear, I would go with the Sherwin-Williams poly; the car guys (Including me) know that this is the BEST clear coat out there right now, if your not worried about originality of the finish. I think RIC is one of the only guitar makers using this stuff, and I'm really not sure why, as it has its drawbacks, yellowing and discoloration being the big one.

Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish