Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hey Eric B.!! (4001 refin)
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:25 pm 

Hah! Small world indeed...I'm on Amerige too..

Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:48 am 

Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:49 am 

a href="http://photobucket.com/" target="_blank">

Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:53 am 

Well, It's almost done!!! I just need to wait about another month or so for the lacquer to cure before taking it for a spin thru the "rig of doom". It's got new Schaller M4 tuners, a new white RIC nut, a new wiring harness with Vintage Tone Control and new knobs care of POTR, a new Toaster neck and Hi Gain bridge pickups care of the RIC boutique, a new factory pickguard I found on Ebay, and a new Dipshot bridge. I'm not sure what I'm going to call it; maybe "Whiteboy" or "Whitestar"....

Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:55 am 

I've also just become a "Guitar Tech" here on the RIC forum....Perfect!!

Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:26 am 

Time to let the cat out of the bag. It was painted with............................RUSTOLEUM LACQUER!!!!
There's only a couple of almost undetectable boo-boos, but all in all I think I did a pretty fair job; it's curing up quite nicely with the warm weather we've been having. I can't wait to put it thru it's paces; I feel a rekindled love affair coming on!

Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:49 am 

Looks good from here..Maybe you should call it Whitey.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:46 am 

Rustoleum lacquer--a relatively recent product line expansion from a company whose stock-in-trade was castor (fish) oil enamel paint, has a weird proprietary formula. Longer drying time than other "lacquers", and once dry, so hard that it tends to chip easily. So beware of limited durability.

In most cases, it pays to use Rick methods when refinishing Rick guitars and basses, especially if they're players.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:21 am 

Quote:
Rustoleum lacquer--a relatively recent product line expansion from a company whose stock-in-trade was castor (fish) oil enamel paint, has a weird proprietary formula. Longer drying time than other "lacquers", and once dry, so hard that it tends to chip easily. So beware of limited durability.

>>> The nice thing about lacquers is repairability. Spot or area refinishing is fairly easy, and chips can always be drop-filled, cut, and buffed. I probably won't be gigging extensively with the bass, as it is a VERY heavy instrument, one of the heaviest RIC basses you'd likely find. It was my only bass for about 20 years until my back surgery in 1997 which was probably caused from playing a heavy guitar, and humping an original SVT for all those years.

In most cases, it pays to use Rick methods when refinishing Rick guitars and basses, especially if they're players.

>>> I would agree with that for the most part, especially for someone that gets a wild hair and decides since they painted a lawn chair or something with Krylon, that they can refinish a guitar with rattle cans. That's totally unrealistic and pretty foolish. It takes a lot of time, skill, and experience, and there are no short cuts. I really fancied doing it up in white though and I don't like the way white RIC finishes go yellow. If for some reason the finish suffers some weird catasrophic failure, It'll get redone in DuPont Chroma base/clear.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:24 am 

just pray it doesnt start to mud crack or check.......

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish