Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish

Post subject: Re: Wanting to "tune up" my '77 4001
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:34 pm 

Well Sergio, Bom Dia, I'm thinking as soon as I can find some spare 4001 pickups of that vintage, I might want to send them to you for restoration (functionality-wise), with the idea of sending you my originals at a later date (so as not to have the machine sitting unusable).

Do you have a website or some other way of providing information like pricing, etc?

(haven't been to Portugal since the 80s...)

Post subject: Re: Wanting to "tune up" my '77 4001
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:46 am 

Trans,

One thing I was told, and I have a '79, was be careful of RotoSound flats. I had just taken a set of Chromes off to replace with some nice RotoSound flats when I realized I needed my neck straightened. I didn't have a proper tool and wasn't too certain about the old rod system so I sent it off to Mike Parks at the Ricpage (who happens to be a few hours from where I live). He told me the Rotos were high tensioned flatwounds and said the RIC rounds were fine for the old necks. So far no problems and he got the neck straightened. The D'Addario Chromes I had were good and other forum members have spoken highly of them.

A saddle option you may have is to buy a whole saddle assembly because my understanding is the new saddles do not fit on the old saddle assemblies well. I'd assume the new assembly would drop into the old tailpiece, but it is more expensive than sadles alone. Rumor has it there will be a 4000 series bridge redesign in the near future, too, so it may be worthwhile to see where that goes.

As far as Ric-O-Sound goes, the Ric-O-Sound box was discontinued because of the availability of high quality stereo Y cables on the market. John Hall posted some brands that he said were quality in another post, but I don't have a link to it off hand. Check out some retailers and some good Y cables should be available.

Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish