Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish

Post subject: Cost of a proper Maple-Glo refinish
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:51 pm 

Assuming thorough prep, what does a factory-quality MG finish typically run? Anyone know?

Edit: This would be for finish only..no dis-/reassembly, etc. I'm on a budget here!

Post subject: Re: Cost of a proper Maple-Glo refinish
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:18 pm 

Er, with due respect, "thorough" prep includes taking all the hardware off the guitar so the body and binding can be properly prepared and sprayed, and so while it's all off, it's better to see if anything needs attention there as well so you don't have electronics or hardware problems later. Better to spend a few more bucks doing the whole thing right at one time rather than have it nickel and dime you later like a bad used car with a fresh paint job.

Are you sure you need a complete re-fin? The guys on here have some good solutions for spot work for fixing scuffs and worn spots that are much less invasive and much less expensive.

Besides, unless you have bare wood somewhere that may deteriorate from perspiration, etc., wear, even hard dings, happens and is normal. So, please forgive the question, as it helps better diagnose what you may really need since you are on a tight budget, but why do you want a re-fin?

Post Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:27 am 

The two that you would want to get quotes from are Paul (jingle_jangle) and Dale (Dale_fortune). They are the only two that I'm aware of who can do a 'factory quality' finish besides RIC, who aren't likely to refinish your guitar due to production and warranty commitments. Either Paul or Dale can do a Rick finish to factory specs, and their work is amazing.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:04 am 

Thx, guys. Yep..well aware of our resident pro's. That's why I posted the question..also thought someone else may have had this done. I tried to search the forum but couldn't find anything about this type finish-only job. I've got a couple options on used Ric basses but they're painted (JG's) and semi-rough and I prefer MG. I'm OK on electronics and structural but realize I'm out of my league in the finishing department. So, how much to shoot a maple-glo?

(Can't swing a new C64 right now!)

(3rd edit) iiipopes: Yes, I'd do all prelim checkout, disassembly, and prep/strip/etc., and essentially hand the bass over for finish-only. No corner-cutting..just cost-cutting (hopefully). The reason is going from a rough JG to a new MG (color-change).

Post Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:21 pm 

Last try: Anyone know how much a finish-only maple-glo refin would run?

Post Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:35 pm 

I don't discuss my prices on public Forums, but if you email me off-list, I'd be happy to enlighten you.

I don't like to seem negative, but it does sound like you're probably going to find our prices--Dale's prices and mine are similar--a bit rich for your budget.

Also, understand that what you call "proper prep"--removing and reinstalling the hardware, and sanding--are only a small part of the job. Generally, when I receive a guitar or bass that's been already stripped and sanded. there's lots of detail work remaining before I can begin to spray. Usually a non-pro has little idea of what to look for and what to do to prepare a surface for a finish (type of stripper, neutralizing the chemical effects, grit of sandpaper, how to treat edges and radii, etc., etc.) so I have to go back and redo a lot of stuff.

Mapleglo is one tough finish to get right unless I am doing all the work, as the underlying woodwork MUST be absolutely pristine and sanded to a very fine surface. The slightest sand scratch or flaw will show, and be magnified by the finish.

Sorry if this sounds a bit negative, but there is no way to refinish a Rick both properly and inexpensively...no matter what, you're looking at 30 hours of hard work, minimum.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:13 am 

Thx, Jingle-Jangle. -very informative. Expect an e-mail. I've always thought Jet- and Fire-Glo's were the most difficult. You also broach a good topic regarding what, how much and how far a non-pro with limited experience can go in a refin/resto before it ends up costing them more.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:27 pm 

One thing to consider as well would be that since your guitar was originally JG,then there's a chance it has wood that was unsuitable for a MG appearance-wise..I'd have an alternate finish in mind if this turns out to be the case.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:19 pm 

Thx, Eric. Yet another very good point. Jingle-Jangle has opened my eyes on the refin/resto subject, also. Basically, it's not really a way to get a Ric on a budget. In fact, I've scrapped the idea in favor of extensive e-bay activity toward a new/recent 4003. This topic did spawn another issue, though: see the thread about guidelines for when refinishing IS indicated. Thanks again.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:42 am 

Quote:
Last try: Anyone know how much a finish-only maple-glo refin would run?

Figure about $40 per hour plus materials costs. A factory quality refin would likely cost more than the instrument is worth. And as Eric said, if your bass was originally a solid color, it would likely not be a candidate for a Mapleglo refin.

Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish