Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish

Post subject: When to refin?
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:33 am 

Various threads have touched on this topic in specific situations. Having heard about how a seemingly innocuous weather check or scratch can permit moisture to enter the instrument, I guess I'm looking for some general guidelines as to when a refinish is adviseable. Inconsiderate of collectability or cost, what are some rules of thumb, here, assuming the owner wants to keep the instrument another 20-30yr?

Post subject: Re: When to refin?
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:11 am 

I think that most of the differences of opinion, and hence debates, are over the issues of collectibility and cost. So to exclude these from the discussion would give only part of the picture.

It does, however, make a simple answer possible.

Practically speaking:

Refinish when the original finish is breached and loses its structural integrity and ability to protect the wood.

Aesthetically speaking:

Refinish when you can't stand how seedy the old finish is starting to look, or had a look at the old girl this morning and realized that she's been overdue for a beauty treatment for ten years or so...

Whimsically speaking:

Refinish when you see another color that moves you. Refinish when you can't bear the thought of not having checkerboard binding (it's a good time to add that type of detail). Refinish when you need a bit of silly sparkle in your life again.

If you're counting the pennies to see if it will pay you back in resale, don't bother. That is too complicated an issue with older Ricks, and too simple with newer Ricks. With older Ricks, it depends upon the guitar, the age, the rarity, the color, the seller, and the buyer, not to mention phases of the moon and sign of the zodiac. Oh, and there's the Zelda factor, too.

With newer Ricks: it won't, unless you got the guitar for free.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:30 pm 

The "Zelda" factor? Does that mean the guitar's nickname should be "Poopsie"? (Some of our younger readers won't get the classic TV reference.) ;-) -Dr.Phil

Post Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:06 am 

What would Maynard G. Krebs say?

Post Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:28 am 

Quote:
The "Zelda" factor? Does that mean the guitar's nickname should be "Poopsie"? (Some of our younger readers won't get the classic TV reference.) ;-) -Dr.Phil

That only works if you wrinkle your nose after saying it.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:16 am 

Thx much jingle-Jangle. -much as I expected. It always helps to hear it from a guru. Your 'compromised integrity' clause would have come into play on a 4001S I'd been considering: no abuse but a "tiny finish crack where the neck joins the body" which supposedly was 'only' in the finish. -about the worst spot for a "tiny finish crack", I'd think. I appreciate the info as always.

(That's why I keep reading this darn forum!)

Post Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:12 pm 

When I see these threads I always like to include the example of Paul re-doing my '72 4001 LH, the point being that great things can most certainly happen with instruments that seem past their prime. I was ready to part out this bass, but it was saved---in a big way. What a beauty.

Originally Mapleglo(which is a good neutral starting point for a refin) and extra screw holes here and there, the choice was to have it refinned to a period-correct dark Burgundyglo to minimize the small amount of woodwork that would be seen....along with re-cutting the tuner holes and reworking the original truss rods, the bass looks and plays as new.

As Paul says, if you're counting pennys you just have to rationalize the cost....I think it's the collective opinion here that the better the deal, the more personal satisfaction you get out of the result. In many cases that won't matter, though. Just knowing the before and after is enough to justify the expense. This bass will be at the MARF event in April, if anyone wants to see the workmanship....then you'll know why it's easy to say 'yes' to a project like this.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:25 pm 

Before your guitar looks like SRV's guiar.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:18 am 

Quote:
Originally Mapleglo(which is a good neutral starting point for a refin) and extra screw holes here and there, the choice was to have it refinned to a period-correct dark Burgundyglo to minimize the small amount of woodwork that would be seen....along with re-cutting the tuner holes and reworking the original truss rods, the bass looks and plays as new.
Quote:

Congrat's, John. Any chance for some pix? My '74 was a factory burg-glo. Did the darkish finish really work well? (knowing these guys, plugs were probably grain-matched!)

Post Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:37 am 

F-d-m, you can see some pics and comment by copying this link to the Rickresource Forum:

http://www.rickresource.com/discus/mess ... 1145983810

I really dig this bass...Worth the money and the wait for sure.

Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish