Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish

Post subject: Washers
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:29 pm 

http://www.rickenbacker.com/pdfs/bpickups.pdf

Do I have to use 6 washers? It was 6 when I looked inside. But they did fall of because I loosen the screws. I can only see 2 at the diagram. Do I have to use all 6 and where shall I place them? Will it have any effect if I dont use them? Anyone knows?

Post subject: Re: Washers
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:43 pm 

Well I just rebuilt my 4001 treble pickup and put it back together exactly as in that drawing. Where were all these other washers? That would help determine why they were there.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:58 pm 

Thanx for your reply Shaggy! Did you only use 2 washers? The problem is that the washers probably did fall of when I was loosen the screws. When I did take of the pick up cover they where just lying there without any conection.
Thats why Im thinking its kind of strange that the diagram says its only 2 and I find 6 inside mine 4003. Where shall I place them?

Post Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:55 pm 

The question is, does your pup work the way it's supposed to? Is it secure in the guitar? Can it be raised and lowered freely? If so, it's probably ok.

My pup does not have the spacers or any extra washers and works just fine. I think it's a minor assembly detail that's not all that critical.

Rickenbrother's comment that the extra washers replace the spacers sounds plausible. If you want to go with that, place them there. It seems to me the effect of that would be to restrict the maximum height of the pickup. Maybe that's what RIC had in mind.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:10 pm 

OK and thank you Shaggy. But I understand that you got a 4001. Is there any difrence between pu set up from 4001 to 4003? Or is the pu`s exactly the same?

Post Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:24 pm 

It`s actually not a question of replacing because I can not take of the spacers from the base pickup. I have to place the washers on top of the spacers. So the question is: Do I have to place more than 1 washer on top of each spacer?

Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish