Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish

Post subject: Bridge PU Confusion
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:37 pm 

Greetings I am a little confused here so some one help me out . I have a Ric 4001 V63 . I need to replace the Bridge PU . I was looking at the Sku: 00003 Item in PICKUP ASSY 4003 BRIDGE in the store and when I click on the Picture it looks like there is no pu in there ? Why do I not see 4 Magnets ? is this right ?

Thanks
Mike

Post subject: Re: Bridge PU Confusion
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:32 pm 

the picture is of the whole assembly from the top. You are seeing the cover. Not sure about the 4001/4003 stuff but that is what you are seeing in the picture. The pickup is hidden below the cover.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:39 pm 

IS this cover remove able ?

Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:47 pm 

Yes, it is removeable.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:03 pm 

Michaguz,

Please note that the 4003 pickup surround is quite different to your 4001 v63 and won't be a precise fit (the modern surround has a smaller footprint). You really just want the pickup (if you can mount it yourself or have a friendly and able repair person nearby) or the pickup and mounting plate without the surround and cover.

The surround and cover are a significant part of the cost for the full assembly (check prices on http://www.the-music-connection.com/ricpart.htm). I believe that neither the bridge pickup nor the pickup and mounting plate are offered at the boutique or at any of the authorised parts dealers, but maybe RIC service will be able to supply what you need as a special order - it is very worthwhile sending them an email. If you are either very competent or have a super-ace local luthier/repair man, you may be able to pop in a neck hi-gain onto your existing mounting plate, although I am not sure that the resistance and polarity are identical (any experts out there?).

Is the horseshoe dead, or are you just unhappy with the sound or playability of the bass with the horseshoe in? If it's intact and you don't want it, you may be able to swap it for the parts you need or post it on ebay to fund your new parts purchase. I'm sure there will be a lot of interest. (I may be one such interested party).

Post Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:34 pm 

Yes my Horseshoe PU is DEAD !! I had it measured with a meter and there is no signal what so ever so thats the reason for the replacement .

As far as the differences beteen the size of the pickup from what I can tell you are saying this is not drop in replacement ? If the 4003 has a smaller foot print I really dont understand what you mean . Are you saying that the mounting holes are not going to line up ?

Post Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:34 am 

Quote:
Michaguz,

Please note that the 4003 pickup surround is quite different to your 4001 v63 and won't be a precise fit (the modern surround has a smaller footprint). You really just want the pickup (if you can mount it yourself or have a friendly and able repair person nearby) or the pickup and mounting plate without the surround and cover.

The surround and cover are a significant part of the cost for the full assembly (check prices on http://www.the-music-connection.com/ricpart.htm). I believe that neither the bridge pickup nor the pickup and mounting plate are offered at the boutique or at any of the authorised parts dealers, but maybe RIC service will be able to supply what you need as a special order - it is very worthwhile sending them an email. If you are either very competent or have a super-ace local luthier/repair man, you may be able to pop in a neck hi-gain onto your existing mounting plate, although I am not sure that the resistance and polarity are identical (any experts out there?).

Is the horseshoe dead, or are you just unhappy with the sound or playability of the bass with the horseshoe in? If it's intact and you don't want it, you may be able to swap it for the parts you need or post it on ebay to fund your new parts purchase. I'm sure there will be a lot of interest. (I may be one such interested party).

They are back in stock. I just received two new ones (toaster and treble pickup) from the boutique.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:02 am 

Thats cool but I really dont want another horseshoe .. I cant stand the cover thats on it ... But thanks for the heads up .

Post Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:33 am 

Quote:
As far as the differences beteen the size of the pickup from what I can tell you are saying this is not drop in replacement ? If the 4003 has a smaller foot print I really dont understand what you mean . Are you saying that the mounting holes are not going to line up ?

The assembly is not a direct replacement as the chrome mounting rings are different for the 4003 and 4001 v63.If you look at the assembly, there is a baseplate under the pickup that is held onto the mounting ring by the two large screws that adjust pickup height. This part (the baseplate) and the pickup that is mounted to it should be a drop-in replacement. Unfortunately it isn't available off-the-shelf without the mounting ring and cover (which is a waste of money from your perspective as these parts sell for 33% of the price of the whole assembly). As suggested, maybe you could get it as a special order.

Of course, you could get your horseshoe pickup rewound. This may be a cheaper alternative, as your problem is 99% likely to be a break in the winding. If you are worried that you have a magnetic problem, just grab an old bass string and place it close to the pickup. It should be attracted to the magnet if everything is ok. If you need a rewind, there are a few manufacturers and repair people that offer this service. From memory a forum contributor with the handle "Crazyrick" has a reputation for doing a pretty cool custom job. I can't give you a guide to cost, as I haven't had this done myself, so maybe someone else out there can help?

Post Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:38 am 

Jason Lollar has also done some rewinds for me, both for RIC pickups and otherwise. Fantastic work. And he LOVES Rick horseshoes.

Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish