Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish

Post subject: Re: Bridge PU Confusion
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:51 am 

Quote:
Quote:
As far as the differences beteen the size of the pickup from what I can tell you are saying this is not drop in replacement ? If the 4003 has a smaller foot print I really dont understand what you mean . Are you saying that the mounting holes are not going to line up ?

The assembly is not a direct replacement as the chrome mounting rings are different for the 4003 and 4001 v63.If you look at the assembly, there is a baseplate under the pickup that is held onto the mounting ring by the two large screws that adjust pickup height. This part (the baseplate) and the pickup that is mounted to it should be a drop-in replacement. Unfortunately it isn't available off-the-shelf without the mounting ring and cover (which is a waste of money from your perspective as these parts sell for 33% of the price of the whole assembly). As suggested, maybe you could get it as a special order.

Dont get me wrong here and I am not trying to be a noob but I really dont understand why you just cant pull the 4 screws from the entire assembly de solder the Pickup , take the replacement part resolder it and then screw the 4 screws back in place .. This is what I'd really like to do ..even if the 4 screw holes dont line up thats fine . I can drill new ones . Im really suprised that no one has done this before . I hade done some custome work on Fenders before and yea I have had to use a router to get the bridge pickup to fit on MIM .

Post Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:24 am 

Can I offer some assistance?

Post Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:31 am 

Michaguz - You can certainly do what you propose, but the new mounting ring will cover a different area to the old so you may have some cosmetic issues. I would also suggest that a rewind may be cheaper and less cosmetically intrusive than the whole replacement gig. Just trying to keep that v63 looking good and save you some green stuff.

I note that Crazyrick has heard his name being cast around - he is reputed to be the fount of knowledge when it comes to rewinds etc. I am going on the feedback from other users of the forum.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:53 am 

Quote:
Can I offer some assistance?

Of course . I am willing to listen to anyones advice

Post Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:44 am 

Michguz,I'll trade you a new bridge pickup AND a new neck pickup for your dead Horseshoe bridge pickup.My email address is in my profile...contact me if you're interested.Also,I believe that you could mount a new bridge pickup in your old bridge pickup surround,without the cover/handrest...I mounted a Horseshoe pickup in my 4001 with no modification at all.It should work both ways.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:19 pm 

Michaguz, you can e-mail me at sergiosilva@netcabo.pt

Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish