Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: JINGLE-JANGLE FINISHES AN ACOUSTIC
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:09 am 

Great pics Paul and congrats Richard! A cool guitar for a cool dude!

Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:00 pm 

The guitar is nearly finished. I'll be posting more in a day or two...right now we've finished buffing it out and I'm making a left-handed ebony Rickenbacker-style acoustic bridge, by hand, from scratch. The call for lefty instruments, as you might imagine, is not very frequent. Having none of these bridges in stock means that I have to make one in this case.

You might ask, "why not use a commercially-available ready-made bridge?"

Well, if the Rick acoustic neck was dimensionally the same as other makers' necks, this would be a snappy solution! But one of the most critical items to give this acoustic its unique "feel" is its neck, which is anywhere from 1/8" to about 1/4" narrower at the 14th fret, than other makers' necks.

This means that the bridge itself must have the peg holes spaced narrower than any commercially-available-from-stock item.

It's one of the things that make the Rickenbacker acoustics so easy and comfortable for electric players (especially players of Rickenbacker electric guitars). They feel very much like electrics, neck-wise.

Stay tuned for a step-by-step photo essay on this, and an insight into final setup.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:25 pm 

Paul - this might be a silly question...but with things "reversed" on lefty guitars, what about the triangle inalys? Is that just minor in the grand scheme of things?

Post Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:18 am 

Since I do make fretboards from scratch when it's required, it would be a simple matter to make a lefty with reversed inlays.

However, recent Rick tradition sees lefty fretboards the same as righties, with only the headstock of the neck reversed.

So this one goes out with a lefty neck and righty inlays!

Post Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:08 pm 

Alisha, I wanted the orientation of the inlays to be the same as my 360s, since that's what I used to. Besides, I've never seen a left-handed Rickenbacker with "lefty" inlays. There may a few out there, but I've never heard of them.

730S Shiloh LH
4003 LH FG

Post Posted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:00 am 

What a gorgeous acoustic you built there, Paul! So, was that Bulgari that you have had for such a loooonng time acquired after your first Rolls, or after your second Rolls? :)

Seriously, I have never in my life seen a luthier who exhibits more skill and attention to detail than you, Paul. I cannot think of an artisan I have ever seen do acoustics - even the several long-term Martin custom-shop artisans that I met years ago, that merits the title of Extreme Artisan nearly as much as you.

I will cherish the day, someday, when I am fortunate enough to own and play one of your creations. It will of course tell me its name, just as the Stradivarii have to their custodians through the centuries.......

Post Posted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:59 am 

That is lovely for sure!

Post Posted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:14 am 

Beautiful work!

Post Posted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:17 am 

WOW!!!!!

Post Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:51 pm 

Considering that there are only a handful of lefty Rick acoustics in existence (my sources tell me two besides this one, and they are in the UK, and I've never seen either one), it is unlikely that I can say with any certainty at this time whether or not they have right-handed inserts on a left-handed neck. But Rick practice on deluxe electrics is as Richard describes--a lefty neck with right-handed (standard) inlays.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next

Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish