Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish

Post subject: jingle_jangle, advice please
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:48 am 

After viewing the photos of the acoustic you are refinishing, I can see that you are a man who strives for perfection. A rare quality.

When I received my 4003 a couple weeks ago, I found a nick in the finish. Certainly I was dismayed. I initally took photos for the purpose of emailing them to the online dealer. But, when they told me that a replacement could take another two years (I ordered this in February '07), I decided to just live with it. I know I could have contacted Kenny Howes, but didn't want to send this long awaited bass away.

If your time allows, will you please click the link on my user profile and view the issue I am talking about? At the bottom of the obvious album you will see detailed photos of the nick. It is my hope that you can give me advice on a repair. This small nick would not be an issue with a used guitar. But, I bought this new, sealed in the factory box. I will be thankful for your advice.

Best, Ron

Post subject: Re: jingle_jangle, advice please
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:49 am 

Ron, this looks like case damage, from a hinge rivet or possibly from hardened lining glue. It happens very occasionally, but usually it's from vintage cases rather than molded. Perhaps John or Kenny could comment...

I understand that you don't want to send it away after such a long wait.

Here's what I had to say to the "guy ahead of you" who needs to touch up his JG 325. Procedure for your scratch is exactly the same. Fortunately, your chip is in a flat surface, not an edge--a prefect situation to acquaint yourself with basic chip restoration techniques!

"Goth black nail polish; dab or drop into scratch and allow to dry at least overnight. Repeat until entire scratched area is filled to a level higher than the surrounding surface, and be sure it's hard when you give it the fingernail test.

Take a small block of wood or hard rubber, and wrap it with #1500 wet or dry sandpaper. Lubricate it with a spritz of Windex, and carefully sand the scratched area until it's absolutely level with the surrounding surface. Since the scratch is on an edge, you need to be especially careful sanding--it's easy to cut through into bare wood and then you've got a real problem.

Once it's sanded level, use a soft cotton cloth and some fine polishing compound, and rub the shine back in. Again, be careful with the edge.

Wax once shiny. You're good to go.

Note that a cautious approach is important. A deft touch and some sensitivity are also required to avoid rubbing through. Incidentally, for future reference, this task is a lot easier if the entire scratch is on a flatter area like the front, back, or side, and does not encompass an edge."

Post subject: Re: jingle_jangle, advice please
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:00 am 

Thank you very much. I regret that I did not see these instructions before I asked for help. I should have known!

Thanks, Dog

Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish