Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish

Post subject: How to heal this scar on my 325
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:36 am 

Hi all,
As posted on another thread, I scratched my V325 a few weeks ago, first time in ten years I damaged one of my guitars! D*mn!
Anybody got an idea how to fix this? Or know someone in the UK or Germany who could fix this? JetGlo and RIC colors are hard to match, I was told...

Here's a link to some pix, if you wanna have a look at it.
Despite the scratch, she said she's fine when I played her a bit afterwards. ;-)
But it freaks me out to see what I did...

http://gallery.me.com/florianhomrighausen

Still makes me shudder when I think about how this happened...

Post subject: Re: How to heal this scar on my 325
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:48 pm 

Personally I wouldn't bother going to too much trouble, these things happen and are just part of the character of a well-loved guitar - ie one that doesn't live in its case all the time!

If you want a quick and easy solution, I found that Tamiya black acrylic model paint is a very good match for Jetglo, and if you simply fill the dent to cover the bare wood, 90% of the pain will go away, and the rest will most likely heal with time even if it does leave a bit of a scar :-).

My JG 381 was really bashed about when I got it, and I did at first intend to have it repaired properly, but I decided to just touch it up myself quickly so I could use it for a gig. One coat of the Tamiya paint in the missing patches was enough to make it look OK, and although once I saw how good a match it was I thought I would add more coats and buff it down, almost a year later I just haven't got round to it - and I can gig with it without worrying in the slightest if it gets scratched again.

Apologies if that's not what you were wanting to hear!

This paint is water-based and very easy to work with by the way.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:35 pm 

Thanks BlueAngel, it does help!
I might try that, at least to cover up the bare wood, as you said.
It' just that its a bit "scarred" and I don't really know what to do with it, that is not to make it any worse or make it look like a quick fix.
I'm just wondering if I should also somehow try and make this scratch a bit more even so that I'm not wearing out the hole even more...

How should I do that, sand it a bit? That might make it worst, I guess..?

Post Posted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:50 pm 

Leave it alone for awhile. The scar just might grow on you and become part of your guitar's uniqueness. I think it looks kind of cool.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:50 am 

In a way, you're lucky - In that it's a Jetglo finish. These are the easist finishes to touch up. You want to talkk with forumite Jingle_jangle. He can tell you how to effect a repair on this that will be almost invisible.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:04 am 

Goth black nail polish; dab or drop into scratch and allow to dry at least overnight. Repeat until entire scratched area is filled to a level higher than the surrounding surface, and be sure it's hard when you give it the fingernail test.

Take a small block of wood or hard rubber, and wrap it with #1500 wet or dry sandpaper. Lubricate it with a spritz of Windex, and carefully sand the scratched area until it's absolutely level with the surrounding surface. Since the scratch is on an edge, you need to be especially careful sanding--it's easy to cut through into bare wood and then you've got a real problem.

Once it's sanded level, use a soft cotton cloth and some fine polishing compound, and rub the shine back in. Again, be careful with the edge.

Wax once shiny. You're good to go.

Note that a cautious approach is important. A deft touch and some sensitivity are also required to avoid rubbing through. Incidentally, for future reference, this task is a lot easier if the entire scratch is on a flatter area like the front, back, or side, and does not encompass an edge.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:11 pm 

Thanks alot jingle_jangle,
I know someone who's good at working with wood and hopefully lacquer, too.
I'll ask him for assistance on that.

Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish