Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 356 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36  Next
 Post subject: Re: LOTS OF NEW PROJECTS FROM PAUL W!
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:32 pm 

Jingle Jangle just finished one for me. It is superb.

Check this:

http://animoto.com/play/1JRfsYHAk3pFldIMm7zZIg

Post Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:33 pm 

PS - I still want to be a Manta!!!

Post Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:02 am 

Paul your work is stunning, the regard for you work and craftsmanship it echo voluminously in this post over and over. You work is breathtaking! You can restore instruments to original condition and also be extremely creative as well, that's two distinct skills you possess, your way too talented!

But in another thread just a few days ago there was a question put forth regards the difference between a guitar Tech and a Luthier. As those in the know stated in the the post the difference in skill levels and knowledge is vast. One forum member from Germany explained that in his country to call yourself and work as a luthier one must study and work for 4 years under the supervision of a Master Luthier, it is all very formal and recognized.
I have been interested in hand made acoustic guitars for years, and so therefore I know a few good luthier's, and guitar techs. I own Rickenbacker's, best electrics on the planet, and I own a handmade acoustic made guitar by Greg Smallman (Master luthier)

After we contrasted all the differences between a luthier and a guitar tech, it was obvious to all that both do different jobs, but a trained luthier is capable of both tasks. We clarified their designations no problems
But honestly I thought of your work,,,,trust me I have known and used some top luthier's in my time, you wouldn't probably designate yourself as a luthier, but trust me I don't think any of the luthier's I know can pull off the quality of work you seem to produce over and over!

I'm glad your name did not come up in the Guitar tech Luther definition post ,,,,, what a conundrum that would have caused,,,,your in a league of you own

jbudweiser

Post Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:04 am 

Paul, you do amazing work!

I have a Rickenbacker 450 made in 1960 I would LOVE for you to restore. Someday....

Post Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:32 pm 

Still waiting for my turn :)

Post Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:47 pm 

Thanks for all the kind words. This is one career that can be a grind (lots of repetitive work, dust, noise, chemical and physical hazards to contend with), but almost without exception, my customers have become friends and are great people to know and serve. The unending hospitality and endorsements of John Hall and the entire extended Hall family, in addition to this terrific customer base, make doing what I do lots of fun to go along with the daily challenges.

What do I do? Is it luthiery or tech or? A good deal of both, I'd say. Without being too tedious, I'd simply say that the European tradition of apprentice/journeyman/craftsman or master, is the best way to qualify any craft or trade; we're far too loose with language and some repairmen, techs, or finishers are really stretching the definition when they call themselves "luthiers". But there's little we can do except follow the wisdom of "caveat emptor".

I worked for over three decades in the design fabrication field, building stuff from scratch to very high tolerances of plus or minus .005". I've done medical devices, opticals, stereo components, automotive prototypes, computers, toys, furniture, and consumer goods. I also did a fair amount of high-tech patternmaking.

This was before I began building and restoring guitars and basses. The skills I used every day as a prototype fabricator, prepared me very well for guitar work, as well as giving me a different approach to some typical luthiery problems and their solutions.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:25 pm 

This needs to be mentioned: in addition to utilising his own skills in design, engineering and craftsmanship, Paul has very generously provided expert advice and input in respect of repairs and restoration projects where either geographical remoteness or his own busy schedule has precluded his direct involvement. Many, many thanks Paul!

Post Posted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:54 pm 

jingle_jangle wrote:
What do I do? Is it luthiery or tech or? A good deal of both, I'd say. Without being too tedious, I'd simply say that the European tradition of apprentice/journeyman/craftsman or master, is the best way to qualify any craft or trade; we're far too loose with language and some repairmen, techs, or finishers are really stretching the definition when they call themselves "luthiers". But there's little we can do except follow the wisdom of "caveat emptor".

I don't care what you call it really, it's fantastic and amazing top notch work that you do. Someday I may be lucky enough to own one of your masterpiece projects! 8-)

Post Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:39 pm 

Paul, Thanks so much for that last post :) ! It was great to hear a bit about your life and work prior to your work on guitars and restoration. Yes you have a acquired skills from other areas to be able to obtain the high standard of craftsmanship you now posses :mrgreen:

I suppose your still acquiring more knowledge as you go about things on a daily basis

Dust, sanding, chemicals and many other hazards would also be encountered in your work place on a daily basis too. General society awareness of chemicals and fumes and work place safety has greatly improved. In your line of work chemicals get used often, and are unavoidable, protecting yourself would be part of much of the restoration work. We all gasp at the work you do :o ,,,,we would probably faint if we knew how much work you put in! Some of the detailed pictures of your work in progress has been a real eye opener :shock: . They give some indication of the time consuming and intricate work you do

I know wearing a mask a gown and gloves doing intricate tasks in a confined space is not pleasant, I use to work in hospitals with patients who were quarantined and in isolation, it was always a relief to get that protective gear off. Cross infection routines are seriously tedious, but all part of the task and definately no deviations

Thanks Paul for all your info and pic's

Maybe one day when you take a photo of one of your ''pretty guitars, you could show us your pretty face :) ( if you ever get the time that is)

jbudweiser

Post Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:45 am 

Paul posted a picture on Jul 20 on this forum.Page 29,I think.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 356 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36  Next

Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish