Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE ABOUT?
 Post Posted: Mon May 05, 2008 6:39 am 

I have a Larrivee LV-19 with that UV cured finish. It looks great and is durable also. Seems like a winner for everyone; thanks for telling us about that, Ben.

Post Posted: Mon May 05, 2008 6:39 am 

Quote:
I have a Larrivee LV-19 with that UV cured finish. It looks great and is durable, also. Seems like a winner for everyone; thanks for telling us about that, Ben.

Post Posted: Mon May 05, 2008 7:26 pm 

Interesting cyberglich, I quoted myself!!! Hmm....

Post Posted: Tue May 06, 2008 3:26 am 

Hey Ben, are the remaining BBRs going to get the UV treatment? (or) More to the point, are the Cii BBRs going to get it? I don't know why I'd be interested... :) :)

Another question, to keep on topic and since I have no knowledge or skill when it comes to guitar construction: Since the guitars have fretboards and binding when they are painted (or at least it seems that way from the pictures I've seen), how do you prevent paint from getting on the boards and binding while maintaining straight paint lines? My 650C has a slight line below the fretboard that looks like tape was placed too far into the neck (but is otherwise perfectly straight) and the binding on my DCM is perfectly clean with all paint lines sharp. Is any touch up painting done to create the clean look?

Post Posted: Tue May 06, 2008 6:35 am 

Ooh, this is tempting. I have a MG WB that's really looking rather plain. Maybe I should have it refinned in Blue Boy in one of these UV type finishes. Dale, Paul, are either of you spraying with this new type of finish yet?

Post Posted: Tue May 06, 2008 8:50 am 

Just got my new 360 (left factory in mid April), it's beautiful(has an almost AFG appearance, and the larger inlays look great) and seems to have a slightly different odor than the 325C64 I got in November. Is that the new finish?
And another question: If I switch to the toasters I got from the boutique (in anticipation of getting this 360) can I just ave them installed, or should I really get that cpapcitor for the bridge p-up?
Thanks

Post Posted: Tue May 06, 2008 11:29 am 

New finish...to paraphrase Ben Hall, there are already some UV-cured guitars in the hands of consumers.

Whether or not to install the cap is a matter of taste. It's not like it's tough to uninstall if the sound is not what you're looking for.

Post Posted: Tue May 06, 2008 11:32 am 

I am not using a UV-cure finish, and don't have plans in the immediate future to use it. I do plan on adding a UV curing cabinet to my shop, but I think there's going to be a learning curve on this, not to mention a different varnish and filler to stock up on. So maybe next year, but I think 2010 is a better guess.

Post Posted: Tue May 06, 2008 12:18 pm 

You may recall many months ago what a BIG help you were in "talking me through" an accidental soldering iron burn to the outside radius
of the lower horn on my '94 360 12's mapleglow finish. The repair, thanks to your responses, looks terrific and taught me a lot of
patience.

I know this is for RIC info, but your knowledge of chemicals and solvents
is superior to mine and this relates to what I plug the 12 into:

Anyway, I have a clean used Crate all tube 50w 212 amp with off white (blonde?) tolex that the previous owner wrote numbers in black permanent marker on the back of. How can I remove this without damage the otherwise intact tolex? Thanks.

Post Posted: Tue May 06, 2008 12:56 pm 

Quote:
Fwiw, the conversion varnish and other "thing" that we use on our instruments for topcoats and sealers will soon give way to UV cureable coatings. CV is easy to work with and leaves a great finish, but it also requires A LOT of air drying to gas out enough solvents to sand the guitars. That means a ton of product just sitting in the queue waiting to get processed. That's 1950's technology anyways!

UV products require virtually no air drying, cure within a few minutes, and leave a much more durable topcoat than cv (less risk of a sand or buffthrough). They also eliminate most of the shrinkage you would otherwise see on our instruments over time. This will be especially apparent on the JGs and Mids.

One can put a guitar together in the mill, finish it, and have it all assembled and ready to ship the same day!

You may not know it, but some of you already have UV guitars in your hands!

Oh, did I mention that they will NEVER yellow...?

Ben,

I just want to say that I think this is awesome news. I can imagine this will have a heck of an impact on reducing the backlog. Kudos to you guys for adopting new technologies to make your products and the environment better. I am so looking forward now to next year when I purchase my next 4003. This is certainly great news for Rickenbacker fans everywhere.

Regards,

Koose

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next

Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish