Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE ABOUT?
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:34 am 

Kinda thought of that but would look good nonetheless don't ya think.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:05 am 

Every set of 4 bass strings on a typical long-scale (34") bass, like a Rick, adds between 125 and 150 pounds of tension to the neck.

A typical 12-string guitar with light-gauge (.010-.046) strings will see about 180 pounds of tension.

I think (this is informed opinion) that a Rick-style cut-through headstock could be used on a bass with a bit of beefing, but Rickenbacker basses already have a trademarked, signature headstock. So, why mess with success?

Post Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:28 am 

Hello May I ask What type of finish was applied to Rickenbacker guitars of the early 70's I have a 73 360

Post Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 4:40 am 

Rickenbacker guitars and basses have had finishes of catalyzing conversion varnish since about 1959. Prior to that, it was nitrocellulose lacquer for the electrics and a variety of finishes for the really vintage stuff. Of course, a "panda" steel (for example) would have been natural Bakelite, so there are exceptions.

Post Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 5:32 am 

Quote:
Rickenbacker guitars and basses have had finishes of catalyzing conversion varnish since about 1959. Prior to that, it was nitrocellulose lacquer for the electrics and a variety of finishes for the really vintage stuff. Of course, a "panda" steel (for example) would have been natural Bakelite, so there are exceptions.

What?!
Jangle please use laymen terms for us simple minded people.

Post Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 10:33 am 

Conversion varnish is the answer, and that's about as simple as it gets...

Paul, can you comment on what the use of walnut wings on the headstock does for resonance and mass, if anything? I would think it would reduce mass (compared to maple), probably decreasing the tendency of that area to absorb energy and microscopically "flex" while playing--thus improving the overall sustain of the instrument, but perhaps siphoning a very minute amount of the harmonic content off. This is just me spouting off though--what do YOU think?

Post Posted: Sat May 02, 2009 8:25 pm 

I have three questions.

I love the very distinctive and unique headstock and body shape on the 4001 basses. Who actually designed the actual profile for those components and did they ever make any comment on the inspiration or process?

Has Rickenbacker ever used any other woods other than maple and walnut for the body of a bass?

Is there any "museum of experimentation" for Rickenbacker? I'd love to see the "concept cars" for them, things they were playing with but never made into production models.

Post Posted: Sun May 03, 2009 12:48 am 

Quote:
Has Rickenbacker ever used any other woods other than maple and walnut for the body of a bass?

Shedua and plywood at times. Shedua for basses (skunk stripe), plywood with some guitars.

Quote:
Is there any "museum of experimentation" for Rickenbacker? I'd love to see the "concept cars" for them, things they were playing with but never made into production models.

If you see the videos of the RIC factory there are always shots of a big wall of instruments that are no longer extant, some of which are barely known or not known at all--at least to laypeople like me.

Post Posted: Sun May 03, 2009 1:02 am 

Quote:
Quote:

What?!
Jangle please use laymen terms for us simple minded people.

Conversion varnish is pretty well-known in the furniture and cabinetmaking industries, and a simple attack with Google will clue you in on this material.

Nitrocellulose lacquer is the "old-style" lacquer, in use for centuries (in Asia) to hand-finish objects of art and utility, but commercially used as a product finish since 1924, when it was first offered for sale by duPont.

I hesitate to generalize and stop with just these two finishes, and early guitars made by Rick had a variety of finishes.

And Bakelite is, simply put, Bakelite--the first commercially-viable thermoset (I believe) that was color-impregnated and required no painting as a result.

If these terms confuse you, Google and Wikipedia are your friends.

I am not informed enough to comment meaningfully on the walnut wings issue, but they sure look beautiful. I expect that it was an aesthetic decision to use the walnut (and vermilion on the CS 4001).

The headstock design I would credit to Roger Rossmeisl.

Post Posted: Sun May 03, 2009 3:37 pm 

Hi,Paul.Nice thread - very informative.Thanks.What I would like to know,as the Sterling - Dollar exchange is starting to improve in my favour and the credit crunch is slowly uncrunching ( my stocks are up!!!!) what would be the current cost of 700Comstock with electro pickup? I have been in touch with you about a lightshow and I hope to confirm that one soon.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish