Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE ABOUT?
 Post Posted: Wed May 06, 2009 11:06 pm 

Thanks Jangle, I know and can handle lacquers because I Restored a few cars. but when you said conversion varnish
It kinda threw me because that was the first I heard of it
and to say the least never worked with it. I guess my next question to you would be permissable to Spray my 73 360 with lacquer
thanks

Post Posted: Thu May 07, 2009 3:56 am 

Quote:
Thanks Jangle, I know and can handle lacquers because I Restored a few cars. but when you said conversion varnish
It kinda threw me because that was the first I heard of it
and to say the least never worked with it. I guess my next question to you would be permissable to Spray my 73 360 with lacquer
thanks

If you've sprayed a two-component automotive urethane clearcoat, you've sprayed conversion varnish, although the automotive one is a slightly different formulation, as it's tougher and intended for exterior applications over a wider range of temperature extremes.

My suggestion: Try PPG DCU-2042 catalyzing clearcoat. It cures hard enough to sand in 12 hours or so at room temp, and can be buffed in a day, although three is optimum.

Rickenbacker has been using catalyzing clear varnishes of one formulation or other for fifty years, now.

Post Posted: Thu May 07, 2009 4:26 am 

Thanks for the email Paul.My spam filter threw you into the junk pile.I think the keyword was 'Pick Up'.........Just as well you don't run a garden supply shop.I'd be shot for asking for a hoe.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:23 am 

Okay , so I am now back in Canada(where the air is dry , dry and drier) with my baby a 1987 4003 lefty with a ruby finish . I bought in in the U.K. where it is far more humid and now am afraid if I take it out of the case for to long it is going to dry up and turn into dust. The finish is almost like new with a couple of very light surface cracks (I can only see them when I hold the bass up to the sunlight) The question is , is there something that I should be treating the finish with like a wax or a sealer. Or is there a preferred measure of humidity I should have in the room?

Post Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:30 pm 

don't worry about it. Open that case and jam!
Here in so cal it goes from desert dry to fog in a few days if not hours... And think about how moist some hot steamy gigs can get. These things are designed to be played.
Have fun

Post Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:44 am 

Quote:
Okay , so I am now back in Canada(where the air is dry , dry and drier) with my baby a 1987 4003 lefty with a ruby finish . I bought in in the U.K. where it is far more humid and now am afraid if I take it out of the case for to long it is going to dry up and turn into dust. The finish is almost like new with a couple of very light surface cracks (I can only see them when I hold the bass up to the sunlight) The question is , is there something that I should be treating the finish with like a wax or a sealer. Or is there a preferred measure of humidity I should have in the room?

Doesn't hurt to keep it waxed--it'll resist dulling of the paint, and corrosion of metal parts better. Use Turtle Wax 123 like the factory, or Zymol Cleaner Wax; both are mentioned in numerous posts and threads in this Forum.

You'll want humidity around 45%, ideally. Very dry situations (as in a heated room when it's bitterly cold outside) can cause the neck to shrink and the frets to stand proud at the ends, leading to the binding popping or cracking, amng other things.

The general rule: avoid extremes. Guitars are wood; wood is organic and quite sensitive to the environment.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:03 am 

Happy to find this neck of the Ric woods!

My '80s 4003s has spent most of it's life in the case, when not in use for studio/session work, or nightclubs back when.

One thing I noticed recently while getting it ready for a setup with T-I jazz flats: the "through the body" neck is starting to show "seams" which can kind of be detected if you run your fingernails lightly across the body.

What can be done to remedy this, and anything special I should do as far as tension-wise with the T-I's? I've kept RW on it most of the time, except for a brief stint with D'Ad ½ rounds in the '90s which lasted all of 1 session.

Hoping to find a neck toaster in stock (or will a guitar toaster work just as well?) soon, for that elusive sound!

Thanks much!

Joe

Post Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:06 pm 

Hey Joe-N-Backer -- the bass toaster and guitar toaster are the same pickup. The only significant difference is that the mounting holes on the guitar version are reamed out for wood screws into the body, and the mounting holes on the bass version are threaded to take a machine screw in the pickguard.

Regarding tone: as much of the neck position tone in the older basses has to do with the 1/2 inch spacing of the neck pickup on or behind the open string nodes as it does the actual pickup, as compared with the the newer basses having the 1 inch spacing of the neck pickup on the pickguard.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:53 am 

Thanks iiipopes, that's the best news I've had all day.

It's funny about the boutique when it comes to ordering pickups or knobs, etc.
The 1st page will say there's none in stock, and yet if I "put one in the cart", then it's there by magic!

Doing some upgrades to the Fender Precision this week, will try ordering the pickup and knobs in a couple of weeks.

Thanks again!

Cheers

Post Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:26 am 

I just picked up an old B16D Cabinet. the Original owner painted it white some 30 years ago. Now some of the white is coming off and its showing its original silver cover in a few spots. My question is is there anything i can use to 1 take out the white paint to have its original silver colour and 2 not to damage the cab in any way?

thanks

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish