Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Post subject: Re: WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE ABOUT?
 Post Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:46 pm 

firstchoice wrote:
I just picked up an old B16D Cabinet. the Original owner painted it white some 30 years ago. Now some of the white is coming off and its showing its original silver cover in a few spots. My question is is there anything i can use to 1 take out the white paint to have its original silver colour and 2 not to damage the cab in any way?

thanks

I've had great results with Simple Green, full strength. Spray it on a horizontal surface and let it sit, puddled, overnight. Then take a scrub brush to the paint. Wipe with a damp cloth, rinse the cloth, and brush and wipe some more.

When one side is cleaned, tip it onto another side and reapply. It doesn't cling well to vertical surfaces, so you can only do one side at a time.

If this doesn't work, let me know and I'll give you some other options.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:39 am 

Thanks for the opportunity Paul. Two things have tended to scarce me off in past tinkering with Ricks - anything that involves the remove of the back (e.g. neck reset on the 300 series) and anything involving binding around tight curves, e.g. the cresting wave on the 4001. Any comments you have on these subjects would be welcome. I promise I am purely a (bad) amateur lutiheir, and not trying to nick any trade secrets

Post Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:43 am 

jingle_jangle wrote:
firstchoice wrote:
I just picked up an old B16D Cabinet. the Original owner painted it white some 30 years ago. Now some of the white is coming off and its showing its original silver cover in a few spots. My question is is there anything i can use to 1 take out the white paint to have its original silver colour and 2 not to damage the cab in any way?

thanks

I had a 64 tan fender bassman that someone had painted black in a similar fashion. I found that duct tape was very effective in removing the paint without damaging ther tolex beneath. Just stick a strip down real good, then pull it up. If a significant amount of paint comes off, repeat the process.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:39 am 

martinH wrote:
jingle_jangle wrote:
firstchoice wrote:

thanks

I had a 64 tan fender bassman that someone had painted black in a similar fashion. I found that duct tape was very effective in removing the paint without damaging ther tolex beneath. Just stick a strip down real good, then pull it up. If a significant amount of paint comes off, repeat the process.

Thanks jingle_jangle for the help but it did not work.
Also thanks to martinH. I will try the duct tape tonight and let you all know the verdict!

Post Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:53 am 

Somewhere in the last 40 years (and I've been out of it for about 30) I heard that the wood color on the Ric fingerboard was something to consider when selecting one for purchase. Ive seen them light and I've seen them dark. Any preference or was that an old wives' tale? Thanks.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:20 pm 

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the wood used on RIC fingerboards. It's probbly more of a personal preference thing.

Now, where there IS a definite issue with color is that on many of the fakes that were produced, the fretboard wood is considerably darker than on an actual Rick. That's one clue that what you are looking at just might be a fake, the wood is too dark.

Of course, there are a lot of other things that go into it, and there have been Ricks made that end up with pretty dark fretboards, especially after a number of years of aging...

Post Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:30 am 

Hi JJ

I want to replace all the electronics, pups and pots on my 360 (the one I fixed a few years back...) . There is a place local to me which sells these spares but I am not sure when it comes to the electronics what I am looking for. Also they have 500k pots available. Would these make a big difference over the standard ones if I replaced them?

Thanks FFR

Post Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:29 pm 

jingle_jangle wrote:
Actually, Dale, about as similar to Imron as the Sherwin-Williams is.

And quite suitable for guitars. I used to do Rolls-Royce dashes and sills with the same stuff.

hi
i have a 2007 620 which has been killed by humidty in Asia its a basket case only played it once, how much to restore its been badly affected by mildew and it was in a Ric Case as well but humidit gets everywhere in Asia

Post Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:50 am 

Jingle_jangle,
Would it be possible to give me more info on the 310(315)/12 FG that you worked on some time ago? Did you replace the dots with sharks-tooth by any chance?

Thanks!
Sean
sharnete@hotmail.com

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish