Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish

Post subject: The New UV Cured Finish
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:48 am 

Not sure if this is really a restoration topic, but it could become one...

The new UV cured finish sounds like a great thing for just about everything except one. The old CV finish had the nice (well sometimes) characteristic that with age it tended to yellow some.

This looks great on a lot of finishes, especially the ones that are transparent or partially transparent like MG & FG, hence the AFG a while back.

This new finish which is cured with UV light seems like it might not have that yellowing with age "feature". After all, it's likely UV that causes at least part on the age related color changes in the CV finish.

So, does anyone have any info on this, will the new UV finish age and yellow over time, or will it remain colorless forever?

Colorless forever would be great for some colors, like the blues that tend to go green with age, but you have to admit, a nice golden MapleGlo sure looks nice! If it indeed does not yellow with age, perhaps RIC could add a bit of amber color to those finishes that are known to "look better" with a bit of age.

I suppose one could always find someone to refinish it with a bit of color...

-cj

Post subject: Re: The New UV Cured Finish
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:32 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The UV materials we will use actually could tend to amber the instrument a little upon application. However, don't count on anything nearly as dramatic as a yellowed guitar from many years ago.

Since we're on the topic, you might find it amusing that I was able to put a 330 JG in the freezer for three days and stick it on the roof all day and overnight and witness zero shrinkage.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:53 am 

George could of used "zero shrinkage" on that old rerun Seinfeld I saw the other night. Ha Ha.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:02 am 

You can't treat that with UV materials. At least consult your doctor...

Post Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:05 am 

The UV cure stuff is a boon in a quick-turnaround production situation, and for RIC it's a godsend, as the bottleneck has always been finishing.

For a restoration shop, however, the time saved is of minimal concern, as most of us restorers are constantly multitasking anyway. And the cost at this juncture is prohibitive.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:49 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It has other benefits as well. If the turnaround time rivaled the cv finishes, the UV materials would still be superior due to the almost 100% solids content. Not that I would advise this, but one could leave a JG guitar in a dusty space (with a variable climate) for a month and not have to worry much about any grain showing through. Blow the dust off of it and it will still look like glass.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:59 pm 

Well, it sounds like my new 4003MG (still waiting, but only since Mar '07) will never look like my old '74 4001 unless I get it refinished somehow.

I'm sure it'll be fantastic even if it never gets that beautiful golden color...

-cj

Post Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:41 am 

Quote:
The UV materials we will use actually tend to amber the instrument a little upon application. However, don't count on anything nearly as dramatic as a yellowed guitar from many years ago.

Since we're on the topic, you might find it amusing that I was able to put a 330 JG in the freezer for three days and stick it on the roof all day and overnight and witness zero shrinkage.

That's one big freezer!

Post Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:56 am 

Quote:
I was able to put a 330 JG in the freezer for three days

Rickenbacker cryogenics!

Post Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:21 am 

Quote:
Quote:
The UV materials we will use actually tend to amber the instrument a little upon application. However, don't count on anything nearly as dramatic as a yellowed guitar from many years ago.

That's one big freezer!

I guess it just goes along with that big oven they have to cure the UV finishes. They just have really big appliances there at RIC, you should see the washer & dryer!

Seriously though, I have a couple of chest type freezers that could easily hold a guitar or bass, heck, they're big enough I could get into them. Then there are the two walk-ins we have. They're about 12ft x 12ft, so a freezer big enough for a 330 JG isn't really that hard to come up with.

-cj

Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish