Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: The New UV Cured Finish
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:48 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Nah, one side's the fridge, the other is the freezer. I had to take a couple racks out, but ain't no thang. Hoisting it onto the roof? Now that, was more interesting!

Post Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:56 am 

Don't try this at home.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:58 am 

Quote:
Nah, one side's the fridge, the other is the freezer. I had to take a couple racks out, but ain't no thang. Hoisting it onto the roof? Now that, was more interesting!

Hmmm ... This reminds me of those old (but, most effective) Timex watch torture test TV commericials with John Cameron Swazy.

"Rics ... They take a-knockin', but keep on rockin'! "

Post Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:36 am 

How long has the new uv finish been in use? Does my march 06 MG 4003 have this finish? It is one of the palest MG I have ever seen and I really dig it. It would be fine by me if it never yellows with age.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:31 pm 

I actually can't wait for my 330FG and 360/12FG to yellow up. I suppose a MG finish would be debatable, but the FGs I think look great with age. Also, I love the way white guitars yellow. Different strokes, I guess.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:14 pm 

Quote:
I actually can't wait for my 330FG and 360/12FG to yellow up. I suppose a MG finish would be debatable, but the FGs I think look great with age. Also, I love the way white guitars yellow. Different strokes, I guess.

Different strokes indeed. I agree totally with the yellowing of FG, but white, well, a little is OK, kind of cream color, but the ones that look really yellow, no, I really don't like 'em.

As for my 4003MG, I have to say, I'd prefer if the finish would yellow to a nice amber, but since it hasn't been built yet, I'm sure it'll have the new UV finish, so it won't.

There's a high probability that I'll have to get it refinished soon after I get it anyway. Not that the finish will be bad, but I really want black binding and since that's not possible from the factory, I'll just have to get it done elsewhere.

Hey, I can help speed up the RIC backlog! Just send me my 4003 MG without binding or finish ;-)

-cj

Post Posted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:54 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

According to one of our UV material sources, there could be a certain degree of yellowing in their product. But that would only be apparent in the top coat, which we haven't introduced into production yet. Incidentally, they were concerned about that being a problem!

Post Posted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:49 pm 

In reality, the yellowing of the finish IS a problem. Ideally, you'd like the finish to stay just like the day it was put on forever.

It's just that since the yellowing was a fact of life as the CV finishes aged, lots of us got used to the look and ended up seeing an imperfection in the material as a desirable feature.

Funny how people can be...

-cj

Post Posted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:33 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
In reality, the yellowing of the finish IS a problem. Ideally, you'd like the finish to stay just like the day it was put on forever.

Welllll, guess where we're going then!

Post Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:25 pm 

Quote:
Quote:

Welllll, guess where we're going then!

Now if I could only get my new 4003MG looking like my nice aged 4001MG straight from the factory and have it stay that way forever...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish