Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish

Post subject: Sealer and paint
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:37 pm 

I got my stripped 4001 body in the mail. It has no paint (though from the reddish color in the body cavity, it was probably originally fireglo).

What kind of sealer should I use on it before I paint it? Several people have also said that car paint works well once I am to the painting stage. Is this correct? I don't want to make any mistakes out of ignorance.

Also, inside the body cavity, near the two output holes, it says "4001 x Rosa." Who is Rosa?

Post subject: Re: Sealer and paint
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:32 pm 

Quote:
Also, inside the body cavity, near the two output holes, it says "4001 x Rosa." Who is Rosa?

This has been covered at least once already, and this is already answered in the FAQ under the service tab:

http://www.rickenbacker.com/faq_item.asp?faq_id=30

Also, a quick search through these forums turned up:

http://www.rickenbacker.com/forum_view_ ... Signatures?

Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:05 pm 

Well, that answers that, thank you. But I still need to know about my main question. I really want to start on this as quickly as possible, because I want to be finished painting by the time college starts again in January, and I don't know how long it will take.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:04 am 

Anybody have any suggestions/ideas for what products to use? I don't want to damage the instrument, I can't afford to screw up (my lack of money is actually the main reason why I'm rebuilding this 4001 instead of getting a new 4003). It has to be all painted by January 3rd (the day winter break ends and I go back to college, where I don't have enough space to work on it).

Help please?

Post Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:53 am 

Try going to The Rickenbacker Forum and seek out Paul W. in Reflections Of A Curmudgeon, he can certainly help you.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:40 pm 

Thanks a bunch. Just google it I suppose?

Post Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:28 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The only reason we're not answering is the fact that we have no experience outside the materials we use and ours are generally unavailable to the public and require special equipment.

However, for general finish information, you might check http://www.reranch.com. They don't offer anything like our finish but have others that might suit your purposes.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:01 am 

Hi again Sartori,

I used to be in the auto collision industry, primarily as a refinish technician and I've painted many guitar bodies. I've done these in clear finishes and in colored finishes.

To answer you question regarding "sealer" prior to having it color coated, I have one question to ask you first: Are you going to have this thing finished with an automotive finish and is this going to be done by you or by a tech?

If the answer to this question is the first, then have the shop spray 3 or 4 coats of their primer surfacer (preferably a polyurathane product) on the body. This will need to be sanded with 400-500 grit wet, or 220-320 dry. When you sand the body, any place you break through the primer to the wood will need to be re-primed. Once you have sanded out all the imperfections and their are no bare wood spots, it's ready for paint.

If you have any more questions that need to be a little more detailed, just email me

Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:50 am 

Sartori,

Check out the Stewart-McDonald site (www.stewmac.com).

They sell a lot of guitar finishing products, and there are instructions on the site for most of them.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:39 pm 

The closest you might come to an original finish will cost you a lot of money in equipment and supplies, not to mention the trial and error and experience you will need. But if you insist on a D.I.Y. project, Sherwin Williams sells a C.V. that is close to what the industry uses and you can get the toners from Stewmac.com on ther internet. My advice: give your instrument to a repair shop and let them do it for you. Automotive paint does not work well on wood, it was designed for metal, although you can use it on wood if you so wish.

Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish