Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish

Post subject: 1978 4001 Maple
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:10 am 

In 1977 I was 16 and joined my friend's garage band after I fell into obsession with a brand new Blue 4001 Ric.
I got a girlfriend 2 years later, quit the "band", and sold my Ric. Bad move! My best friend of 32 years (and fellow bandmate) found almost the exact same guitar on Craigslist recently and I had to have it. I have not even touched a guitar in 28 years but am looking forward to starting from scratch. The guitar is being set up by a pro right now and on a whim I just ordered a new set of keywinds from this website. Do I need to know anything special in swapping the old out for the new? In every other way this guitar looks like it has been in cryogenic freeze for the last 25 years or so but the keywinds are just pretty dull looking. The repair shop is also taking care of both output jacks which seem to have a little scratchiness in them. Looking forward to any comments or suggestions y'all might have, Thanks

Post subject: Re: 1978 4001 Maple
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:12 pm 

You should leave the original key winds/tuners on it unless there is something wrong or broken about them. They were the best at the time and will work fine and keep the instrument in tune and worth top dollar if you decide to sell later on down the road. "Looking dull" take some polishing cream and restore the luster to them and save yourself some money. I've always been one for original equipment. Just my thoughts on this.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:43 am 

I appreciate your thoughts very much based on all the posts I have been looking at from you over the last several weeks... I see that you are in Aloha, I actually live in the Bethany area. Currently my 4001 is in the hands of 5 Star Guitar doing a set-up, etc. Any change you are affiliated with them?

Post Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:03 pm 

Yes I know the store, did some work for them a few years back, refrets and such. Jeep, one of the sales guys there is one of my sons best friends. As for repair/set up work, I don't know who does that for them, but I always recommend talking to the person who will actually be doing the work on your instrument and building a relationship of trust. I never cared for anyone/business selling someone something they didn't need, not saying 5 Star is doing this, just be aware that this goes on at many music stores by commissioned sales people. Just walk thru the door at any GC..... see what happens. Plus as I said, I'm into preservation of original equipment, and I know for a fact that the stock tuners almost never ever fail on these.. Schallers/Klusons/Grovers, all made to high quality standards, to last a life time.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:54 pm 

Actually, they don't have anything to do with me buying the keywinds... I simply saw them on the RIC website and got impulsive. I think I will just "sve" them as spares if I ever need one. Do you have a suggestion on what type of polish to use on them? there is no rust or anything, just a slightly darkened color compared to something shiny. I don't believe these were chrome originally, maybe just a passivated stainless steel??

Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:13 am 

Probably nickle plated if they look like dull chrome. A mild automotive polish/wax cleaner like Maguires works well on all chrome and metal parts.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:45 am 

Sorry to post right in the middle of this, but I used to use Maguire's on my other basses and still have most of the bottle left. If Maguire's is good for that, I'm assuming a regular polishing should be good for it. What's the best polish to use finishwise, for I, too, have a late 70's 4001. I was recommended Smith Pro Formula.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:54 am 

I use Maguires with the pure Carnuba wax just for waxing and it makes them shine.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:50 am 

Thank-you Dale, I will get some Maguires and give it a try.

On a side note... I checked the serial number on my 4001 and the RIC site stated that it was manufactured in October of 1977, does that mean it is actually a '77 model or is this like automotive model years that often run from October to September.... ??

Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:04 am 

It's a 1977 for sure. These were numbered in order as they left the final assembly dept. 1st letter year, 2nd letter month and then the production number.

Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish